How To Create A Bug Report.

Known bugs and problems with the user-created animal downloads
searain79
bunny rabbit keeper

Post by searain79 »

to introduce a bug report, please make sure in your TOPIC TITLE the name of the animal is listed, so we dont have double or triple bug report posts.

as you make your post, please list all you can, and what version of zoo tycoon you are playing, ie: zt only? zt and dd? cc? the more you tell us, is so great of you!

thanks guys
KTesch
zoo guest

Post by KTesch »

Dear Jay,

I recently (tonight) tried two times to download and change the Quagga from a .zip into a .ztd and had some trouble. Then when I thought it had worked, I couldn't find it in the Adopt Animals section of ZTCC either in the Tutorials and Scenarios section nor in the Freeform section. Does this mean I already have too many downloads in my game? Thank you.

Kim
Jay
african elephant keeper

Post by Jay »

After reading this, I tried to download the quagga. But the download was not complete. The download page says the size should have been 1.10 mb, but the download was less than 400 kb. And being incomplete, when I tried to put it into ZT, it did not show up in the purchase menu.

Then I downloaded it 4 times after that. It downloaded fully in all 4 cases and appeared in the Savannah section of the purchase menu. (I used the Basic Grass Map in the Freeform section.)

So check the size of your Quagga download. As the download page says, it should be 1.10 mb. But my Windows XP said it was 1.09 mb. (Some computers round up and some computers round down.) To be precise, the download size should be 1152833 bytes. But if the size of yours is not even close to that, download again. Maybe the server was busy when you downloaded and when I downloaded the first time. The download is a ZTD. So in your download "Save" box, you can change the name end from ".zip" to ".ZTD".

When you have too many downloads for ZT, ZT will not even allow you to go into a freeform game or load a zoo.

Whenever I download something, there are a number of things I do before I try putting it into ZT. First, I move the mouse cursor on the download link and look at the bottom of the browser to see what the name should be. Then, when I download, I look at the name in the Save box. If the name does not match, I change the name in the Save box. Once it is downloaded, I check the size of the file to see if it is close to the size that the web site said it should be. Then I use some type of unzipping program to test the download. (There are a number of free unzipping programs.) If the program says that the file is corrupted or if the program says that the file is not an archive that it understands, then I do not put it into ZT.

Good luck with the download and, as always, happy Zoo Tycooning. :))
KTesch
zoo guest

Post by KTesch »

Jay,

I tried twice to download the Quagga and looked in both the purchase menu in Tutorials and Scenarios and in Freeform. I used the Basic Grass Map also, Plus I tried Death Mountain. It's still not showing up. I have Winzip. What do you use? I haven't tried all of your suggestions though. I figured it wasn't going to work after two times.

Kim
KTesch
zoo guest

Post by KTesch »

Jay,

I couldn't find an Edit button on the site anywhere, So, unfortunately, I'm double posting even though I read the Help section of this site. Anyways, the file was 137 KB. Your post says to use an unzipping program to test the download, but I'm not sure how to do that.

Kim
fern
african elephant keeper

Post by fern »

Anyways, the file was 137 KB.
Jay said the file was 1.10 mb so you have not got the whole file.
I used to have trouble getting complete files from here. It would often take several attempts before I managed. Part of the problem for me is the fact I am on dial-up.
Jay
african elephant keeper

Post by Jay »

Fern is correct. If the size of the file on your computer is 137 KB, then only a part of the file downloaded. So you must download again until the size is 1.09 (or 1.10) mb.

Once you have the file at the proper size, then you can test it. I believe Winzip has a "test" button inside of it. But I do not use Winzip because it is a commercial product and there are free programs available that are better, at least for me. For Windows XP, I actually have quite a number of free programs, each with its own advantage. I use 7-zip for testing files. This program adds options to the "context menu". That is the menu that occurs when you right-click on a file. So I can right-click on a file, click 7-zip, and click test. 7-zip is available here:
http://www.7-zip.org/

For compressing and sometimes testing or uncompressing, I use Zip Central. I talk about this program in the last post of this topic:
http://www.lunamanar.com/zklounge/index.ph...st=0&#entry6237

Once again, good luck with the download and happy Zoo Tycooning. :))
KTesch
zoo guest

Post by KTesch »

Guess what?! It's in there now!! :clap: :)) Both the Quagga and the Real Sloth from ZTC are in there! I didn't have to redownload. I already had a copy in Winzip even though I had converted it to a .ZTD and so I checked the file before moving it and it miraculously said 1.09 mb's. I still need to work on moving files and may even have to re-print your instructions on converting files again. It's still kind of hard for me. Thanks for all your help Jay and Fern .

Kim
Rickerg
zoo guest

Post by Rickerg »

when i put the animals in the folder, there there when i start, but they are invisible! what do you think happened? Especially with tank animals and dinos.
Rickerg
zoo guest

Post by Rickerg »

KTesch wrote: Dear Jay,

I recently (tonight) tried two times to download and change the Quagga from a .zip into a .ztd and had some trouble. Then when I thought it had worked, I couldn't find it in the Adopt Animals section of ZTCC either in the Tutorials and Scenarios section nor in the Freeform section. Does this mean I already have too many downloads in my game? Thank you.

Kim
i had too many animals so the game froze and some animals werent there
Jay
african elephant keeper

Post by Jay »

Welcome to the Lounge.

The more details you can give, including a specific download, the more we can help. If you are saying that you are putting downloads in the Updates or dlupdate folder and you are not seeing them in the purchase menu inside Zoo Tycoon, then there are a couple possibilities. One possibility, as mentioned above, is that sometimes the download is incomplete. So you want to check the size of the download on your computer with the size that the web site description says it should be. If they are different sizes, download again.

Good luck and happy Zoo Tycooning. :))