Graphics

Got a question about APE that isn't answered in the tutorials? Ask it here! APE - the Animal Project Editor - designed for the original version of Zoo Tycoon.
meowmix4194
zoo guest

Post by meowmix4194 »

If the graphic that I need is not avalible to save or copy from APE (such as certain landscape patterns or guest trash, etc.), how do I get it?
fern
african elephant keeper

Post by fern »

Many people do screenshots and extract the part they want that way. There are several tutorials around at various sites.
meowmix4194
zoo guest

Post by meowmix4194 »

But taking screenshots of many animations is very difficult, I dont want to reveal what I'm making because I want it to be a surprise, but it is very much moving and is about impossible to be acurate.
Jay
african elephant keeper

Post by Jay »

Terrain patterns are not moving. The best way to get those is via screenshots. For anything else that are in a zoo, they would be images in a Zoo Tycoon ".ztd" file. ".ztd" files are actually ".zip" files, which can be extracted using various unzip type of programs. Just do not extract them into any Zoo Tycoon folder. Once extracted, the images have to be converted from ZT format to a format that graphics programs understand. I use ZOOT to view and then convert the images from ZT format to ".png" format. ZOOT is available at Zoo Admin. Just be sure to download the later version: Beta B.
meowmix4194
zoo guest

Post by meowmix4194 »

Thanks, but, although, I solved my problem another way, I could not find what you were talking about. I was making a guest as an animal, which I now easily completed, and wanted to find animations for it, but in the guests ZTD, there are only .PAL files and path names for the animations, which is what I used. Could you describe exactly where these .ZIP files are?
Jay
african elephant keeper

Post by Jay »

Except for animals and paths, most of the graphics in the original Zoo Tycoon are in global.ztd. The guest animations are those with names "guests/...". A guest as an animal, as well as a scientist as an animal, has be done before. But it was made before MM came out so it does not include things like swim animations. Also, it could have been made more efficiently. Instead of extracting the animations from Zoo Tycoon files, it could have just referred to them directly in the ".uca" file. The Uca Editing Guide says how to do this with sounds. The animations would work the same way.
meowmix4194
zoo guest

Post by meowmix4194 »

Thanks Jay :clap: , but I prefer to see the animations myself so I can get exactly what I want the first time instead of a guess-and-check system. My next problem is that none of my image editing programs will open the files in global.ztd.

I realize that It has been done before, but I found the guests extremely glitchy and the creator did not change the description for guests from the description of scientists.