Devona's Guide

Read up on how to manipulate APE and basics of how to use APE - the Animal Project Editor - designed for the original version of Zoo Tycoon.
JohnRN1
zoo tour guide

Post by JohnRN1 »

There I go againl...I mean left corner.
I must be getting tired.
Jay
african elephant keeper

Post by Jay »

In GIMP's terms, it is the top left pixel of the canvas that matters. But people do not always understand the term "canvas", so I often use the word "image" instead.

In the case of icons, it is the top left pixel of the entire icon that you have to pay attention to. Whatever the top left pixel of the entire icon is, that is the color that will not be shown by ZT, Zoot, or APE. So if the top left pixel of the entire icon is pink, then that same shade of pink anywhere else in the entire icon will not be shown. Instead, ZT, Zoot, and APE will show whatever is behind the icon. In the case of the purchase menu inside ZT, I believe it is black behind the icons. In the case of Zoot, I believe it shows white behind the icons.

When you make objects for ZT, you will also have to worry about the top left pixel for those images as well, and not just the icons.
JohnRN1
zoo tour guide

Post by JohnRN1 »

To Fern and Jay,

I am sorry, but I am going to have to give up on this uca. I just can't use this zoot. It worked the first time, and it worked for another uca. Now I can't get it to bring up any picture in any animal file.
I am not even able to delete the file that is in the program now. I have even deleted and opened the zoot zip file again...and an animal file is still in there. All it has is 2 refresh radio buttons and no delete button and it doesn't refresh anything.

I am very sorry you both had wasted time trying to help me. Hopefully, I can make it up to you somehow in the future.

Regretfully, but Thankful,

--JohnRN1--
fern
african elephant keeper

Post by fern »

Don't give up yet. Zoot can be a pain until you are used to it.
Send me the background you want to use and I will finish it for you.
Meanwhile hopefully Jay will be able to talk you through zoot.
Jay
african elephant keeper

Post by Jay »

Yes, Zoot takes a little to get used to. The difficulties you are mentioning are the ones that people have when they first start using Zoot. There are 2 difficulties.

Zoot remembers the last thing it was working on. As you use Zoot more, you will see that is actually an advantage. To select a different folder to work in, click the first icon in Zoot. If you move the mouse pointer over that icon, the tooltip says "Open a project", since Zoot calls the starting folder a "project". Clicking the icon will bring up a window where you can select the folder to work in. That brings us to the next difficulty.

Zoot is very picky about the starting folders. If you choose the wrong folder to start in, then Zoot does not show the pictures. ZT itself is actually just as picky, but APE takes care of that for animals and simple objects. Because so many people have problems with this, I created an example guide (which fern mentioned in an earlier post):
http://www.ztcdd.org/DG/index.php?topic=47...g18199#msg18199
But here are the instructions using your croc, which include the steps for changing the 2 icons:
1. Although the folder can be anywhere on your computer, it is easier to understand when you are first using Zoot to put the folder directly in C: drive. So create a "FreshiecrocbyJT" folder directly in C: drive. In order to keep things simple for now, do not put it inside any other folder.
2. Extract the entire contents of FreshiecrocbyJT.ztd into the FreshiecrocbyJT folder. When you do this, the FreshiecrocbyJT folder should have only 1 thing in it: an "animals" folder.
3. Go to where you extracted the files from the Zoot ".zip" file and run zoot.bat.
4. When Zoot starts, since you used Zoot before, it will probably be showing the last thing you were working on. In that case, in Zoot's main window, click the first icon, which is the one that looks like a folder and has the tooltip "Open a project" when the mouse cursor is over it.
5. In the "Open a project directory" window, click the "My Computer" icon on the left and double-click "C:" in the list that appears. Then click "FreshiecrocbyJT" in the list that appears and click "Open".
6. The Zoot main window should now be showing "FreshiecrocbyJT" as the first line, with "animals" as the second line. Click the "+" next to "animals" and "0e84cbe0" and 0e84cbe0.uca should appear below "animals". Click the "+" next to "0e84cbe0" and 7 more lines will appear. Click "+" next to "icswcroc" and 3 more lines will appear.
7. Next to "n", there will be a tiny icon that looks like a painting. If that is gray, Zoot is not finding the ".pal" file for the "n" image. But if you followed these steps, that painting will be in color instead of gray. Click "n" and its image should appear on the right.
8. Click the fourth icon in the toolbar, which is the one that has "Edit the currently selected image" as its tooltip when the mouse cursor is over it. That will bring up another window where you can change the "n" image.
9. In the "Editing frames" window, click "Add frame(s)".
10. In the "Open PNG image(s)" window, go to where you have your icon, click it, and click Open.
11. In the "Editing frames" window, click your old icon and click "Delete frame". Then click "Save to file and close window". Click "Yes" in the window that appears.
12. In the Zoot main window, click the fifth icon in the toolbar, which is the one that has "Fix rotations of the currently selected image" as its tooltip when the mouse cursor is over it. That will bring up another window where you can fix the positions for the "n" image. Use the arrow buttons to center the icon and then click "Save to file and close window". Click "Yes" in the window that appears.
13. In the main Zoot window, click "+" next to "lsmswcro" and 3 more lines will appear.
14. Click the "n" beneath lsmswcro.
15. Click the fourth icon in the toolbar, which is the one that has "Edit the currently selected image" as its tooltip when the mouse cursor is over it. That will bring up another window where you can change the "n" image.
16. In the "Editing frames" window, click "Add frame(s)".
17. In the "Open PNG image(s)" window, go to where you have your icon, click it, and click Open.
18. In the "Editing frames" window, click your old icon and click "Delete frame". Then click "Save to file and close window". Click "Yes" in the window that appears.
19. In the Zoot main window, click the fifth icon in the toolbar, which is the one that has "Fix rotations of the currently selected image" as its tooltip when the mouse cursor is over it. That will bring up another window where you can fix the positions for the "n" image. Use the arrow buttons to center the icon and then click "Save to file and close window". Click "Yes" in the window that appears.
20. You can now close the Zoot window and rezip your croc into FreshiecrocbyJT.ztd.
JohnRN1
zoo tour guide

Post by JohnRN1 »

Thanks Jay, and Fern

I took time away from my computer (in frustration), and then went over your notes again. I hope I have it figured out now. And, I have sent Fern the FreshieCrocbyJT zip file this morning.

If I need to do more changes, let me know and I'll scream with a pillow over my face so the neighbors won't here me!!! LOL

Thanks again
fern
african elephant keeper

Post by fern »

A much nicer icon and the croc looks like it should. :clap: :clap:
JohnRN1
zoo tour guide

Post by JohnRN1 »

A Big THANK YOU to Fern and Jay for all their help with my first UCA!! :)) :)) :fish: