Ask The Experts

Read up on how to manipulate APE and basics of how to use APE - the Animal Project Editor - designed for the original version of Zoo Tycoon.
Sundance300
zoo tour guide

Ask The Experts

Post by Sundance300 »

If you're a new person on ZKL and about as chatty as me (which isn't very), this is where you can around the 10 post minimum.
Here you ask questions about APE and user-created animals or objects.

Before you ask any questions you might want to glanced over all the pinned topics here and here.

Many questions can be answered from those articles.

If you still need clarification, ask away!
Magnasaur
zoo guest

Post by Magnasaur »

Where can I download Spin's Modded APE or APE 2.5? The links to ZooOgresNet doesn't work.
If you can read this, you will be assaulted by a pack of deadly ninja theropods.
Jay
african elephant keeper

Post by Jay »

Welcome to the Lounge!

The most enhanced APE, which is called A.P.E. xp or APE 3, is the one available at Zoo Tycoon ABC. It is a German site, but they have an English version of A.P.E. xp here:
http://www.zootycoonabc.de/include.php?pat...d&contentid=120

As for the Zoo Tycoon part of ogresnet, called Zoo Admin, they have moved. They are currently here:
http://www.zooadmin.net/Smf/index.php

However, their downloads are still in the process of being set up from the move. So they are not available yet.

Good luck with your APE work and have fun with your Zoo Tycooning. :))
Magnasaur
zoo guest

Post by Magnasaur »

Uhh... still got problem with the APE XP. Because 3/4 of it is either German or nonexistent text. Also, does anyone know what does threshold mean?
If you can read this, you will be assaulted by a pack of deadly ninja theropods.
Zoomaster
zoo guest

Post by Zoomaster »

How do you Get this thing to do its Magic.

-----------------------------------------------
Ranibows a ppeares After Magic.
Jay
african elephant keeper

Post by Jay »

After you download the APE ".zip" and extract it into a new folder, there will be, among other things, an APE_doc folder. There is documentation in that folder that explains how to use some things in APE. To run APE itself, you would run the APE.exe program.
BrandonP
zoo guest

Post by BrandonP »

I've installed Ape 3.0 (aka ApeXp), but when I try to open up the T. Rex for editing, the program crashes. Oddly, this doesn't happen with the other dinosaurs.
Jay
african elephant keeper

Post by Jay »

Welcome to Zookeeper's Lounge.

APExp does not crash for me when I open up the T. Rex for editing, although it does crash for me at a later point. I was able to create an animal based on the T. Rex by doing the following: start APExp, click the "Create a new project" icon, click New and a new area appears after some seconds, click Animals in the new area, click "Tyrannosaurus rex", click Create, click Manage, click the "Save the current project" icon, and save the file. If you are not able to do this, then your computer might not be able to handle this animal. For example, maybe your computer does not have enough memory.

If you are able to do the above, then you should be able to edit the animal based on the T. Rex, but with one exception. In my case, if I clicked the Descriptions button for the T. Rex animal, then APExp (as well as the original APE) will crash if I try to go to any other APE screen. So, instead of editing the Descriptions information via APE, you would have to edit the 1033.txt and ".uca" files manually. Because APE always causes inefficiencies in the ".uca" file, you should always be editing the ".uca" file manually anyway, after all of the graphic work is finished.

There is at least one animal where APExp crashes when one clicks the Create button and that is the Humpback Whale. So we know that APExp cannot be used for everything.

Good luck with your creating. :))
BrandonP
zoo guest

Post by BrandonP »

Jay wrote: Welcome to Zookeeper's Lounge.

APExp does not crash for me when I open up the T. Rex for editing, although it does crash for me at a later point. I was able to create an animal based on the T. Rex by doing the following: start APExp, click the "Create a new project" icon, click New and a new area appears after some seconds, click Animals in the new area, click "Tyrannosaurus rex", click Create
I tried it with the German version, and it works, but it doesn't work for the English version.
Jay
african elephant keeper

Post by Jay »

It sounds like your computer must have less capabilities than my computer, because I was able to do that with the English version of APExp. But I am glad the German version of APExp worked for you. So now you should be able to do whatever you need to do for your animal, although you should still change the ".uca" manually after you have finished your graphics work, and you might also need to change or add the 1033.txt file manually.

Continued good luck with your creating. :))
BrandonP
zoo guest

Post by BrandonP »

Actually, I managed to get the English version to let me work with the T. rex for once. I don't understand what happened, but I was able to create what I wanted to (namely a T. rex subspecies that lives in rainforest instead of grassland like the default rex).
Katha25
zoo guest

Post by Katha25 »

hi

i have APE for my Zoo Tycoon.
I have made my own Animals but ther have no Voice.
In the APE i make the Sound in wav.
The APE play the Sound but i can`t hear it in my Game.
What make i false ?"
Jay
african elephant keeper

Post by Jay »

APE has many problems. So after you use APE, you have to fix things yourself. You would edit the ".uca" file to fix things. You would use a text editing program to fix it. If you are using MS Windows, you can use Wordpad to fix it. Sometimes APE puts "Undefined" inside the ".uca". For example, it might have a line like this:
f = fPlayWithSound(shake,Undefined)

If you want your animal to make a sound at that place, you have to change that line and add a couple of lines in the ".uca". If your sound is mygrowl.wav, you could change the above line to:
f = fPlayWithSound(shake,mygrowl)

Inside [Sounds], you would then add 2 lines:
mygrowl=mygrowl
mygrowl=800

The number 800 can be any number. The smaller the number, the louder the sound will be. But the sound cannot be made louder than how it sounds outside of Zoo Tycoon. You would put mygrowl.wav inside the 8-character APE ID folder. For example, if APE used the ID 12345678, you would put mygrowl.wav inside animals/12345678/. The ".wav" file has to be in PCM format (and not APCM). Instead of "mygrowl=mygrowl", you could also use the full path with the APE ID: "mygrowl=animals/12345678/mygrowl.wav".

There is a Uca Editing Guide here that talks about many things that can be changed and fixed in the ".uca", including animal sounds. But the guide can be difficult to understand. The guide is here:
viewtopic.php?t=116

There is also a program here that can check a ".uca" file. It does not check for everything that can be wrong, but it checks for many common problems, including having Undefined. The program is here:
viewtopic.php?t=1203

Good luck and happy Zoo Tycooning. :))
Katha25
zoo guest

Post by Katha25 »

Thanks for the Help, but i can`t youse the uca file.
I have Windows 7 and not XP. :cry:

For the Sound i must have the uca file ?"
Jay
african elephant keeper

Post by Jay »

".ztd" files are actually ".zip" files. When APE makes your animal ".ztd" file, APE puts a ".uca" inside the ".ztd" file. If APE used the ID 12345678, there will be an animals/12345678.uca file inside your ".ztd" file. You would extract all of the files from your ".ztd" file, including the ".uca" file. Depending on what programs you have for ".zip" files, you might have to rename the ".ztd" to a ".zip" so that you can extract the ".uca" file. I use the free and open source program called 7-zip to extract and make ".zip" files. I talk about that program here:
viewtopic.php?t=1983

With 7-zip, I do not have to rename ".ztd" to ".zip". But it should be possible to use whatever comes with Windows 7 to extract files from a ".ztd" or ".zip" file. When you extract things from a ".ztd" or ".zip" file, you should extract them some place else and not in any of Zoo Tycoon's folders. The ".uca" file is just a text file. So you can use any program that lets you edit text files. I do not have Windows 7, but I suspect it comes with the WordPad program just like Windows XP does. You could use any other text editing program, such as Notepad or MS Word or MS Works Word Processor. There are free and open source programs that could also be used for text editing, such as Vim (which is what I use) or OpenOffice Writer. But WordPad would be the easiest. After you finish editing the ".uca" file, you would then make a ".zip" file from the files you extracted. Again, Windows 7 should allow you to do that. You then rename the ".zip" to a ".ztd". 7-zip can also be used, which is what I use because it makes smaller files that still work in Zoo Tycoon and it allows me to make a ".ztd" file directly without having to rename it later.

Once again, good luck and happy Zoo Tycooning. :))