Dd, Mm, And Cc And Ape

Read up on how to manipulate APE and basics of how to use APE - the Animal Project Editor - designed for the original version of Zoo Tycoon.
Sundance300
zoo tour guide

Dd, Mm, And Cc And Ape

Post by Sundance300 »

[font=Arial]How to Get DD, MM, and CC Animals into APE[/font]

The million dollar question. You can go about this one of three ways. Either use Spin's modified APE, editing in Winhex, and to extract. Here I will post the pros and cons of each along with links and tutorials.

Spin's Modified APE
Works with DD, MM, and most of Microsoft/Blue Fang Official Downloads. Though it looks complicated, it's easier than you think.
Download at:
Spin's Modified APE

Pros:
* You can easily screenshot the plaque and icon when working in APE.
* APE gives your animal its own ID# so it doesn't overwrite original animals and you don't have to extract and upload the pics as you do with extractions.
* With a little tweaking you can get APE to bring up plants and other previously non-accesible objects. ;)

Cons:
* It what save stat changes, descriptions, etc in a modified version. I have to switch the modified config.ztd back to the original config.ztd. Then I have to load my animal up into the original APE for the stats and other info to save.
* Even the modified APE forces you to edit the uca manually. In dinosaurs there's the egg hatching bug, the MM animals sometimes appear invisible and show programming is non-existent.

Extraction Tutorials
Works with DD, MM, CC, and all of Microsoft/Blue Fang Official Downloads. Though it looks complicated, it's easier than you think though some parts still confuse me.
Available at:
Here and about every other ZT site. Just look below.

Pros:
* Doesn't have any advantage over Spin's APE that I can think of except that you can extract CC animals.

Cons:
* Extraction is fun, right? Copy, paste, copy, paste..... It can get tedious.
* You have to download all images off ape and them upload them into a new ztd or risk overwriting the original animal.
* Plaque? Icon? You'll have to get them elsewhere.
* Still have to edit the uca manually. DD you mainly have the egg hatching bug, and in MM you have to add programming for water depth, salinity, murkiness, and show programming.

Editing in Winhex
I gather it works with DD, MM, CC, and all of Microsoft/Blue Fang Official Downloads. I've never tried it before. If anyone has I would love to hear your opinions on it.
Available at:
Here. Just look below.
Sundance300
zoo tour guide

Post by Sundance300 »

Extracting Dinos

Anything in quotation marks ("") is a file.

1. I made a new folder on my c drive and named it "dinos".
2. I then went to C:/Program Files/Microsoft Games/Zoo Tycoon/xpack1 and opened animals5 and animals6 file and extracted them to my dinos folder.
3. This will put a new folder in your c:/dinos folder called "animals", rename it "dinosaurs".
4. I then opened ape and created a new animal and saved it in my dinos folder. From now on I'll name my new animal from ape "elephant.ztd".
5. I then opened the "elephant.ztd" file and extract it to c:/dinos
6. It will add a new folder in your dinos folder called "animals". I then open my c:/dinos/dinosaurs folder and click on the dino folder i want to open, like "apato".
7. I copy the pal folder from the "apato" folder.
8. i then go back to the animals folder (the elephant file i extracted) I click on the "animals" folder and then create a new folder.
9. I paste the pal file inside of this new folder. I then name the folder i posted it inside the same name as the pal file. The name of the Apatosaur pal file is apato.pal so I'll call the new folder "apato".
10. I then go back to the dinosaurs folder and find the "apato" folder and open it. I then click on the "m" file.
11. I copy every folder inside of "m" (the male file).
12. I then go back to the "animals" folder and then click on the folder inside of that one which is your unique id # folder. Inside of the ID# folder you click on the "m" file.
13. I then pasted all the animations I copied from the "apato" file.
14. I then go back to the "animals" folder and right click on it and then click "add to zip file". Add it to "elephant.ztd".
15. When you open the "elephant.ztd" file in APE it should now have the dinos(after the original, in this case elephants files) animations along with the elephants.

**Note on MM extractions. Instead of opening xpack1 and extracting animals5 and animals6 you open xpack2 folder and extract animals9 and animalsa.
**Even if you extract, you can recolor an animal without coloring each frame one by one. Say you want to extracted the Velociraptor using the lion ztd. Recolor a pic like you would do a regular recolor. Save in ape. Copy the N.pal like you would usually do. Go to the folder that hold your velociraptor pal in it and replace the raptor pal with the N.pal.
Sundance300
zoo tour guide

Post by Sundance300 »

[font=Arial]Editing Dinos & MM animals in Winhex[/font]

A lot of people have asked Devona how to edit Dinos and MM animals in winhex. For all the animals that can't be pulled up directly in APE, you will need to do this. Instead of posting a lengthy explanation in the forum, I wrote up a tutorial on a separate page...thanks to Devona for the information :D

You can view the tutorial here:
Editing Dinos and MM animals in Winhex

you can download winhex here:Winhex