Zoo Layout

(ZT2) Learn and share tricks of running and building a successful zoo for Zoo Tycoon 2.
fossaman
zoo guest

Post by fossaman »

So, I've decided that this forum is moving really slowly, so I need to make it interesting so people will post more. Right?

So, my question is, how do you lay out your zoo? Where do you put paths, refreshments, donation boxes, how big are your exhibits, etc.

In my zoos, I usually have paths that are three spaces wide, laid out in a grid around 10x10 exhibits. I place a donation box and a bench in the center of each side of an exhibit. Occasionally I'll add binoculars too. I have rows of three exhibits on each side of the center, and running up the center I have a series of plazas with shops and tables in them. I usually use different kinds of paths to make a mosaic pattern on the ground. I'm starting to consider putting exhibits up the middle and the plazas to either side. What does everyone else do?
Deep fried lemur, anyone?
Quicksilver
ostrich keeper

Post by Quicksilver »

I generally lay out the paths first, and then build exhibits around them. My favorite map is that rainforest map with the river running through it.....I can't think of the name of that one but I love using it.

I like to build viewing/observation areas but don't have the hang of that yet. It always looks dumb when I try. I never use educators or the podiums, because I think it's dumb how they just stand there. Maybe it's a glitch in the game that will be fixed with the forthcoming expansion.

One thing I am into doing right now is building zoos with biome specific areas. I think I like that better rather than just plunking exhibits down in any old place. I also like using natural barriers whenever I can.
fossaman
zoo guest

Post by fossaman »

I always have disastrous results when I try and use natural barriers. Which kind do you use? Cliffs or moats? How high do they need to be?

I suppose I have another question. How many people make their zoos as symmetric as possible?
Quicksilver
ostrich keeper

Post by Quicksilver »

It takes practice to be able to use the natural barriers and I haven't quite mastered the hang of it totally, but it's fun to play around with. What I typically do is try to build the exhibits like how they are shown in the opening video, with cliffs on just about three sides and a fence for viewing on one side. I find the cliffs have to be steep enough so that the "soil" shows through and you can't see the biome terrain on them. That usually prevents the animals from escaping. I'll try to post a pic tonight. I have been wanting to just kill an evening by playing all night long and tonight might be the night for that.

I used to be very symmetical when I played ZT1, but I find that too limiting with ZT2 and to a certain extent, harder. Just because there seems to be so many more options with ZT2.
fossaman
zoo guest

Post by fossaman »

I'm starting to see your point with the symmetry. I am currently trying to make a non-grid zoo. I have exhibits that are eleven by eleven, with quarter circles cut out of one corner with benches, viewing canopies, and donation boxes on the outside. I have four of these cut-outs together to form a sort of plaza in the middle of the path for scenery and shops. It works pretty well, but I started it too far over and the guests are forced to backtrack. I'm probably going to have to start over. All because I tried to make it symmetrical. :cry:
vampire
zoo member

Post by vampire »

that's too bad. i think it sounds pretty good though
My personal favourite quote, one that I wrote myself. "With work comes happiness, and with happiness comes work."
Rickerg
zoo guest

Post by Rickerg »

I always for marine animals make a path that leads to refreshments and surround it with a HUGE tank for all time viewing while they eat.
musicfool95
zoo guest

Post by musicfool95 »

:clap: (3)

My zoos are usualy made up of many different segments all with a different theme. the atlantean theme with m aqua monster/ whale combo alwayys comes first