Making Your Guests Happy

(ZT) Learn and share tricks of running and building a successful zoo for the original version of Zoo Tycoon and its expansion packs.
Jay
african elephant keeper

Post by Jay »

Niebi posted Aug 20 2003, 04:30 PM

We all hate them, but we need to keep them happy ! here are some tips:

1. Put your paths right up to the exhibits. This really does make a difference. Also, try making your paths double wide.

2. Use the cobblestone, brick, gold or boardwalk paths. These have higher aestethic values and increase happiness . And use items such as the bighorn statue and turtle fountain, for the same reasons.

3. Skip the food courts and bathroom areas. Restaurants are way better for satisfying guest hunger, thirst and bathroom needs. When I build zoos, I never use any of these items and the guests flock to the restaurants (and they make more money for you, too!).

4. Keep your exhibits close together. Guests hate having to walk more than a few tiles in order to view an exhibit. I think their viewing area is 10x10 tiles....if they don't see any animals within this area they start to get mad.

5. If you decide to use animal houses, make an exhibit right outside the entrance, so that as soon as the guests come out of there, they are looking into an exhibit.

6. Hire tour guides! Guests love them!

7. Try making combined exhibits. Guests really do enjoy it when there are more than one type of animal in an exhibit. Go to Wisco’s and check out his Animal Center for information on what animals are compatible with each other. Also, make sure your animals are happy, because happy animals means happy guests. Wisco also has some great info on how to make exhibits highly suitable for your animals.
LadyLuckNOT
zoo guest

Post by LadyLuckNOT »

Has anyone noticed more tired guests if you add a swim shack? I'm baffled by the number of tired guests I have. So I brought up the list and clicked on each tired guest. I discovered all of them in the same area. On the benches outside my swim shack.

If I got rid of the swim shack would I have fewer tired guests? I'm reluctant to lose it because it has generated almost $50K profit for me, but I can't get my guest happiness over 90 to finish the scenario.

Ideas?
Niebi
zoo tour guide

Post by Niebi »

guests get really exhausted cause of the swim shack. I always put a restaurant near those kind of buildings. The swim shack makes indeed a lot of money, and the restaurant will make much too.. ;)
All the tales are told
All the orchids gone
Lost in my own world.
Now I care for dead gardens
<span style='color:green'>---<-<--{</span>@
casey
zoo guest

Post by casey »

I played around with the swim shack too. I noticed that there are several things that I can do:

1. Use the swim shack early in the scenario to earn the money, and sell it at the end to raise the guest happiness. You can also drop the building prices to the lowest possible for some extra guest happiness.

2. place lots of benches close to the swim shack, like any sensible person would do in real life.

3. Use the buoy rope so that the guests will swim away from the swim shack and end up on land. They only get tired when they return to swim shack. :XP:
zookeeper1
zoo guest

Post by zookeeper1 »

hello!

I started recently to build a big zoo with a lot of downloads. If I put benches in the game now, my guests gets a sort of stuck to it. It also happens with my show stands. No-one gets in because there are people stuck on the entrance. When I delete the benches and show stands, the guests can walk again. When they,re stuck, they loose happiness very quickly. Is it possible that I have a wrong download, that causes this? help!!! 6_9

greetings,
suzanne
Jay
african elephant keeper

Post by Jay »

Hello, and welcome to the Lounge!

Yes, some user downloads can cause guests to get stuck. There are three types of situations. Sometimes, building exits are not configured properly. This can cause guests to get stuck and act strangely, even in other areas of the zoo. Second, you may have downloaded some type of guest hack that was made before Marine Mania came out. Therefore, the guest hack would be incompatible. Sometimes it is not obvious that you have a guest hack. Functioning benches are one form of guest hacks. Third, some "buildings" are not configured properly concerning guest energy. If the building uses too much energy, the guests become tired very quickly.

Rather than use functioning benches, you might want to use the decorative benches that are available here. The guests will not sit on them, so they cannot get stuck. Since restaurants and many buildings give guests energy, functioning benches are not necessary.

For the grand stands, you can look in the examples at this site for creating them. Their positioning must be very precise. Also, do not place buildings near them.

Also, check if you have any guest hacks that may have been made prior to Marine Mania. If so, get newer versions or delete them.