Tank Portal In The Wrong Place?

(ZT) Learn and share tricks of running and building a successful zoo for the original version of Zoo Tycoon and its expansion packs.
Luna Manar
baboon keeper

Post by Luna Manar »

I have an elaborate Orca tank that wraps around the Orca show tank. When I built the tanks, ZT automatically placed the show tank portal in the far west corner...the result is that when it's time for a show, all the orcas on the EAST side of the tank cannot find/get to the show tank and the show ends immediately.

I have been unable to find a way to manually move the portal to a different and more easily accessible location. Can this be done?
fern
african elephant keeper

Post by fern »

Can't say I have tried but I have sent a link to genki as she might have an idea.
Spiritwolf did a hack at ZA that is a tank editor but I haven't read the readme yet to see what it does.
genkicoll
zoo member

Post by genkicoll »

The only idea I have is to delete one section of fence near where you want the show to be, then put the fence back (which will put your entrance to the tank there unless the area is somehow blocked).
Luna Manar
baboon keeper

Post by Luna Manar »

Thanks for the suggestions, I will try that. Even an old timer like me forgets how to do things after a year of not playing. Shame on me!
Jay
african elephant keeper

Post by Jay »

I just did some experimenting. As far as I can see, although platforms can be moved via the gate button in the fence purchase menu, there is not a way to move the portal. However, you can force the portal to be placed where you want by constructing in a certain way. First construct the show tank. Then construct a temporarily smaller exhibit tank so that it only touches the show tank where you want the portal to be. Make the heights of both tanks equal so that a portal is created. Finally, build more exhibit tanks adjacent to the first exhibit tank and it will ask if you want to merge them.

However, I do not know if there is a better place for the portal that would prevent your original problem. All you can do is try.

I also tried using multiple exhibit tanks around a single show tank where the exhibit tanks contained the same animal. The problem with this was that they would all return to only 1 show tank after the show.