Baiji Or Yangtze River Dolphin

Here you can talk about real zoos and animal topics unrelated to the game.
ztdoctor
zoo docent

Baiji Or Yangtze River Dolphin

Post by ztdoctor »

You probably heard already that the baiji or yangtze river dolphin, which has been in trouble all of my life, has finally gone... probably. Sadly, being rather slimy, secretive and difficult to catch alive and keep in captivity it has never acquired the cache of that other chinese mammal, the giant panda.

here's the wikipedia page which discusses this animal and its plight wiki baiji

and here's the link for earthtrust earthtrust and here's their rather forlorn page about the baiji baiji page
Gfh
zoo guest

Post by Gfh »

It is sad that it is gone.
JVM
zoo guest

Re: Baiji Or Yangtze River Dolphin

Post by JVM »

I will never forget the moment I first heard of this animal's extinction... I had an existing fascination with it, and it was so sad to find out that it was gone from the world. We now know even more is wrong, with the Chinese paddlefish recently declared extinct...
NormanV
zoo guest

Re: Baiji Or Yangtze River Dolphin

Post by NormanV »

JVM wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 4:54 am I will never forget the moment I first heard of this animal's extinction... I had an existing fascination with it, and it was so sad to find out that it was gone from the world. We now know even more is wrong, with the Chinese paddlefish recently declared extinct...
Chinese Paddlefish have been around for an estimated 200 million years, which means they already swam alongside the dinosaurs and survived their extinction. But they did not survive the overconsumption and intervention of humankind, and were declared extinct in 2020.
World is becoming hard to live day by day.