Combining Ztd Files

We have some of the best Techies around to help you solve any technical problems you might be having with Zoo Tycoon.
Missy
zoo tour guide

Combining Ztd Files

Post by Missy »

I have read all the guideline (even printed them to go step by step) and I still am having problems. I move them to my desk top to rename but it does not have a .ztd after the name of the file to replace with .zip. I just type in . zip then the file is .ztd.zip. :frust:

Next when I right click on the file and try to extract to folder I do not get the two folders. It just says the name of the zip file in a folder form.

My next question is if I combine things into ztd files together will it slow my game play down. Ihave a lot of statues and flowerbeds I would like to put into organized combined files to help with testing and to keep things straight.

I do not know why I can not do this. I feel like I understand the instructions but just can not get it to work. what am I overlooking? :banghead:
Oops, gotta go!! Motherhood calls........Don't put that in your mouth....Why did you do that to your brother........
Jay
african elephant keeper

Post by Jay »

What MS Windows version do you have? In Windows XP, it would not show the ".ztd" if ".ztd" is already associated with some program.

You will not perceive any speed difference when you combine ztd files over not combining them. Zoo Tycoon will take just as long to use 100 files with 1 thing in them as it does to use 1 file with 100 things in it. (Technically, combining files uses less memory and will cause Zoo Tycoon to run faster, but not enough for you to notice the difference.) Of course, Zoo Tycoon takes longer to use 100 things (no matter how many files they are in) than it does to use 1 thing. But that is another advantage to combining files because they will be easier to move in and out of Zoo Tycoon's folders.

I tested the following step by step procedures on Windows XP. Other versions of MS Windows should be similar, but there will be differences. If you have a different version of MS Windows and cannot figure out how to do the following things, please ask. I'm sure we can figure things out as a group.

Changing Windows XP to show ".zip" and ".ztd" in "My Computer"

1) Click Start.
2) Click Control Panel.
3) Double click Folder Options. If you do not see "Folder Options", but see "Appearance and Themes", click "Apprearance and Themes" first. Then you should see "Folder Options".
4) Click View.
5) Make sure that no checkmark is in the "Hide extensions for known file types" box. If there is, click in the box to make the checkmark go away and click OK.

Associating "ztd" files with the built-in compression program in Windows XP

1) Click Start.
2) Click Control Panel.
3) Double click Folder Options. If you do not see "Folder Options", but see "Appearance and Themes", click "Apprearance and Themes" first. Then you should see "Folder Options".
4) Click File Types.
5) See if ZTD is in the list. If it is, then ZTD is already associated with some program. On the machine I was using, ZTD was not associated with some program. Therefore, I associated ZTD with the built-in compression program by doing the following:
- 5a) Click New.
- 5b) Click in the "File Extension" box and enter ZTD
- 5c) Click "Advanced>>".
- 5d) Click the down arrow next to the "Associated File Type" box.
- 5e) Look for and click "Compressed (zipped) Folder".
- 5f) Click OK in the "Create New Extension" window.
- 5g) Click OK in the "Folder Options" window.

Combining ztd files in Windows XP

1) Perform the previous two procedures if they have not been done yet.
2) Click Start.
3) Click My Computer.
4) Go to where the "ztd" files are in Zoo Tycoon. (Usually this is C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Zoo Tycoon\Updates)
5) Hold down the "Ctrl" key and click each "ztd" file that you want to combine.
6) Click "Move the selected items".
7) If there is no "Saved ZTD files" folder, create one:
- 7a) Click "My Documents".
- 7b) Click "Make New Folder".
- 7c) Type "Saved ZTD files".

8) Click "Saved ZTD files".
9) Click Move.
10) Close the My Computer window.
11) Click Start.
12) Click My Documents.
13) Click Saved ZTD files.
14) For each ztd file you want to combine:
- 14a) With the "right" mouse button, click on the file.
- 14b) Click "Extract all".
- 14c) In the Extraction Wizard, click Next.
- 14d) Hit the "End" key and and change the last 2 folders ("\Saved ZTD files\...") to "...\combined".
- 14e) Click Next.
- 14f) Except for the last file to combine, remove the checkmark by clicking in the "Show extracted files" box.
- 14g) Click Finish.

15) After doing the above for all files, there should now be a window showing what is in the folder called "combined". Highlight everything shown. (One way to do this is to hold down the "Ctrl" key and click on each thing shown.)
16) With the "right" mouse button, click on one of the files.
17) Move the mouse over "Send To".
18) Click "Compressed (zipped) Folder".
19) With the "right" mouse button, click on the "zip" file that was just created.
20) Click Rename.
21) Change the name to a name ending in ".ztd". I use one of the following names: foliage.ztd, foliage_as_rocks.ztd, nonliving_user_animals.ztd, nonspecial_animals.ztd, rocks.ztd, scenery_as_rocks.ztd, structures.ztd, user_fences.ztd, user_paths.ztd, zoo_scenery.ztd.
22) Hit the "Enter" key. When the "If you change name extension..." question appears, click Yes.
23) Click "Move this file".
24) Move the file to the Zoo Tycoon folder where the original "ztd" files were.
25) In the window showing the contents of the "combined" folder, click the "Home with an up arrow" picture.
26) With the "right" mouse button, click on the "combined" folder.
27) Click "Delete".
28) In the confirmation box, click Yes.
29) Open "Recycled Bin".
30) With the "right" mouse button, click on the "combined" folder.
31) Click "Delete".
32) Click "Yes" to confirm the deletion from the Recycled Bin.
Missy
zoo tour guide

Post by Missy »

Thanks Jay. I have XP. I will print out this and give it a try next time I have a chance. :luv:
Oops, gotta go!! Motherhood calls........Don't put that in your mouth....Why did you do that to your brother........
Missy
zoo tour guide

Post by Missy »

Jay, I got to step 14, but when I right click "extract all' is not one of my options. I have win zip does that over ride anything?
Jay
african elephant keeper

Post by Jay »

Try following the 'Associating "ztd" files with the built-in compression program in Windows XP' procedure again. That is what makes the "Extract all" option appear for "ztd" files.

If for some reason it still does not work, you can replace step 14 with other procedures. However, I do not have winzip, so I do not know exactly what those procedures would be. I would try two things. First, I would start the winzip program and see if it lets me open up "ztd" files from within it. If not, then I would rename the "ztd" files to "zip" files, then right click on them and do the "Extract all". However, in this case, it would probably be winzip that does the "Extract all" instead of the built-in compression program in Windows XP. That should be fine, but I do not know the exact "step by step" procedures in that case. Hopefully it will be obvious. Somehow you would have to tell winzip to extract to a folder called "combined".

Let me know how things go, either way.
smdrc
zoo guest

Post by smdrc »

Hi,I have windows me. everytime I try to combine they are on the menu ,but they are invisible on the menu and when you try to put them in the game. I also have zip central.Can you give me instructions for windows me.Thank you.totally fustrated. @_@
Jay
african elephant keeper

Post by Jay »

Welcome to the Lounge.

I have not used Windows ME or zip central, so I cannot give specific instructions. However, if you were trying to combine objects, then it sounds like the "scenery" folder is in the "ztd" file, but not the "objects" folder. I imagine that you can use zip central to look inside your "ztd" file to see which folders are there. If one of the folders is missing, try using zip central again to create a combined "ztd" file from the original object "ztd" files.

If you are still having problems, try something simple. For example, you can try to download the Albino Crocodile Statue and the Dragon Statue from here, if you have not downloaded them before. (If you have downloaded them, choose two that you did not. Try to choose small ones.) Then try to combine them and put them in the game. If you still have a problem with two small files from here, I can do the same thing and help you with what should be there.
smdrc
zoo guest

Post by smdrc »

I'm still getting no picture in the game.I have tried it twice. Is there any way I can send you my files so you can see what I didand if so will you tell me how to do it? @_@
Jay
african elephant keeper

Post by Jay »

smdrc... at this point it is probably best to use PMs concerning your problem. So I have sent a PM to you.
Missy
zoo tour guide

Post by Missy »

Thanks for all your help Jay. I got rid of winzip (I just used it when I had 98 and did not get rid of it when I upgraded to xp) and it worked great.

You are the Master Jay :bow:

:lol:
Jay
african elephant keeper

Post by Jay »

Thanks for the kind words and, more importantly, thanks for the feedback. That way others with XP and winzip will know what to do. Removing winzip was a little drastic, which I was trying to avoid. But it is true that, for the most part, winzip is not needed with XP. I'm glad everything is working great.

As a side note... I use Linux rather than MS Windows. The "zip" utility under Linux has options to use maximum compression and to not store separate entries for folders. These make a noticable difference in disk savings and I believe they also speed Zoo Tycoon slightly. Most people do not set these options, not even Blue Fang, even though there is no down side to using them. One of these days I should figure out how to accomplish the same thing under MS Windows so that others can get the same benefit.
Jay
african elephant keeper

Post by Jay »

This is to document the solution to the problem that smdrc was having, in case others have the same problem in the future.

smdrc uses Zip Central to zip and unzip files. I only looked at it briefly, but it looks worthwhile for those looking for a zip type of program for MS Windows. It is free, supports maximum compression, has an option to turn off using separate folder entries, and looks like it will work in all MS Windows versions. It looks like its web site is http://zipcentral.iscool.net .

The problem smdrc was having was either using a much older version of Zip Central or trying to use Zip Central by using right click in Windows Explorer. In the old versions, you could only save files (such as "766875c3.ucs") or full path names (such as "My Documents/combining/statue2/scenery/other/766875c3.ucs"), but you could not save partial path names (such as "scenery/other/766875c3.ucs"). Zoo Tycoon will only work with these partial path names. Newer Zip Central versions allow saving partial path names. Therefore, newer Zip Central versions can be used to combine "ztd" files for Zoo Tycoon.

When it works, it is usually easy to right click in My Computer or Windows Explorer to extract and create "ztd" files. However, sometimes it does not work. For example, even though the newer versions of Zip Central allow saving partial path names, they do not allow it via the "right click" approach. But it is also possible to do everything from within these programs. Here are the incomplete steps using Zip Central as an example. I'm concentrating on the creation since that shows which options to use to get the best compression, as well as how to specify using partial path names.

1) Start Zip Central.
2) For all ztd files you want to combine, extract them into an empty folder, such as "My Documents\combined".
3) Click New.
4) In the "Create new archive" window:
- 4a) Go to the "combined" folder.
- 4b) In the File name, enter a suitable ztd file name, such as zoo_scenery.ztd.
- 4c) Click Open.

5) In the "Add files and folders to current archive" window:
- 5a) Click "Browse for folder" icon. (It is the second icon in Zip Central version 4.01)
- 5b) Use the "Choose a Directory" window to find and click the "combined" folder and then click OK.
- 5c) Click the "View list" icon. (It is the last icon in Zip Central version 4.01)
- 5d) While holding down the "Ctrl" key, click the things you want to include so that they are highlighted. For scenery, for example, hold down the "Ctrl" key and click the "objects" and "scenery" folders so they are highlighted.
- 5e) Click the arrow in the Folder Names box next to "Do not save".
- 5f) Click "Save relative path".
- 5g) Click "Include subfolders".
- 5h) For better compression, click the arrow next to Compression Level Normal and click Maximum. (Maximum compression is technically slower compressing, but it will not be noticed. This will produce a smaller file which will load faster whenever the file is used later.) Also for better compression, make sure the "Use separate folder entries" box is not checked.
- 5i) Click OK.

6) You can now close the Zip Central window.