Complete Collection Issues

We have some of the best Techies around to help you solve any technical problems you might be having with Zoo Tycoon.
Jay
african elephant keeper

Post by Jay »

searain79 posted Aug 17 2003, 08:05 AM

With Dino Digs, and Marine Mania, we all had to be aware of user created items! And the same goes for Complete Collection- because it comes with a new .dll - lang300.dll
things that may be compatible with dino digs and MM- may not be compatible with Complete collection!
so what do you do about this?

When you get the new expansion pack, uninstall your current zoo tycoon.
once zoo tycoon is uninstalled, go to c program filesmicrosoft games and delete the zoo tycoon folder.
once you've done that, install complete collection.

With basically a new game installed, launch the new game.
Play for a bit, and then head over to the microsoft site and download those items you want.

*reminder- there IS a limit to how many items you can have in your updates folder, and Complete Collection actually installs itself IN the updates folder, so watch your limit! things will get wonky and crash!

If you wish to install usercreated items, i ask that you stick to testing out 1 item at a time, and test your game out each time.
There are SO MANY user created items out there, that each have their own ID number- something may surely clash!

Please use this thread to post any issues. quiestions and concerns!

AnimalLover posted Aug 31 2003, 04:00 PM

I was looking in the Booklet that came with the CDs, and it said that one CD should be blue, and the other should be green. But mine are both a yellowish color, different disks. Anyone have the same thing happen to them?

searain79 posted Aug 31 2003, 05:58 PM

hmmm it may be different per state, or country.. i do not think the colour of the disk will result in different, or lack of game play.

AnimalLover posted Aug 31 2003, 07:38 PM

Ok, it doesn't seem to cause any problems that I have noticed, yet.

lilgamefreek posted Aug 31 2003, 10:06 PM

There's a limit? I thought they only made your game slow.

robbieb posted Aug 31 2003, 10:14 PM
I was looking in the Booklet that came with the CDs, and it said that one CD should be blue, and the other should be green. But mine are both a yellowish color, differnt disks. Anyone have the same thing happen to them?
mine are both yellow too i didnt know there supposed to be blue and green

searain79 posted Aug 31 2003, 11:18 PM
There's a limit? I thought they only made your game slow.
yep. too many = 380 - 490 ztd files or something. it will cause game crashes and stuff.

searain79 posted Oct 18 2003, 11:17 AM

(if you have downloaded CC from the Microsoft site)

Where is the Komodo Dragon and the Japanese and artic stuff??

M$ didnt include it in the download, You can download the Dragon at Zoo Admin

Wolfyu posted Oct 26 2003, 06:16 AM

I downloaded CC and it worked fine, but I can't seem to be able to purchase the male Machrochinia, Tapir, or Whale Shark...Should I re install my game, or is this a different error?

searain79 posted Oct 26 2003, 11:39 AM

this is the downloaded version of CC?

Wolfyu posted Oct 26 2003, 05:47 PM

Yes, it is the downloaded version!

rudynoname posted Oct 27 2003, 12:15 PM

alright so what's the final count for objects missing from the download? is it the japanesse theme, the artic theme, and a tree?? it seems kinda weid they would leave a tree out. especially one for an animal. maybe another oversight. either way what's the final count?

searain79 posted Oct 27 2003, 12:25 PM
Yes, it is the downloaded version!
ok wolfyu - try re-installing the CC download. if that doesnt work, take OUT the Mexican theme pack, AND the mexican pack.dll (lang302.dll) and see if that works.

IF THAT IS A NO GO

uninstall zoo tycoon. reinstall ZT, DD, MM (you MUST HAVE MM FOR CC TO WORK) and then download/install CC.

if that no worky, lettme know.

searain79 posted Oct 27 2003, 12:29 PM
alright so what's the final count for objects missing from the download? is it the japanesse theme, the artic theme, and a tree?? it seems kinda weid they would leave a tree out. especially one for an animal. maybe another oversight. either way what's the final count?
final count:

Snowbell Tree
Komodo Dragon
Arctic AND Japanese Theme

CosmicHedgehog posted Oct 27 2003, 01:35 PM

Okay..... I have a question regarding a missing offical animal.... since it's probably a problem like searain mentioned about files haveing the same name or something, I just thought I check and see if anyone else has had the same problem. Is anyone else's Mountain Lion missing?

I had this problem with the original ZT.... mountain lion was there, and then it wasn't. So, I actually bought CC... (I'm passing my originals to a friends kids) So, before I moved all my user mades in, I took CC for spin... and there was my mountain lion.... yay! so I added a couple of animals and some objects.... everything was still fine. so being the impatient hedgehog that I am, I dumped the rest in...... and then no mountain lion.....

So, what I'm hoping is that this has happened to someone else, and they know what particular file did it. Otherwise, I guess I should probably just uninstall it.... and then reinstall, and add the user mades back in....one at a time.

Can anyone save me from that.... please?

searain79 posted Oct 27 2003, 01:43 PM

oiy. aside from all user created animals, how many are user created cats?

CosmicHedgehog posted Oct 27 2003, 02:39 PM

that's the thing though....... I don't have any user created cats.... I had one, but I got it after mountain lion had disappeared.... and got rid of it anyway. sigh.... I guess I'd be better off doing a clean install.... drat! oh well, I need to go through my user mades again and get rid of anything I don't use alot.....

searain79 posted Oct 27 2003, 02:52 PM

well oiyeth in the highest... thats wonky. if it helps, remove the animals first.

CosmicHedgehog posted Oct 27 2003, 03:28 PM

I could do that...... either way though, it's going to be tedious..... I'll post the results... in case anyone else has the same, or a similar problem... I can't be the only one... I'm not a totally freak or anything...... (no smart comments from you, Greengo....)

Greengo posted Oct 27 2003, 03:40 PM

Komodo Dragon has now been added to the official download

... Cosmic would I make such a comment

rudynoname posted Oct 27 2003, 04:45 PM

loren are u still using the old file for the reindeer? or is it something else?

CosmicHedgehog posted Oct 27 2003, 05:06 PM

good question? I don't know.... but I think I might be..... have to start paying more attention message windows...

justkel13 posted Oct 27 2003, 07:30 PM

I downloaded the CC from MS Site, unzipped it and picked what I wanted to use. That is, anything to do with maps or scenarios I didn't unzip to the updates folder. (Due to the fact I only have 64 MB of RAM) It all works fine, got the new stuff, new animals but I didn't get the Komodo dragon either. I did this with a clean install, saved the old zoo.ini file so the game thinks I already did the scenarios so Nessie and Bigfoot were there right away. So is what you're all saying is that the dragon, the themes and the trees just weren't there? Do I have to spend 5 1/2 hours waiting for the entire CC to download again? It's so frustrating living in the boonies with no high speed dial up...

CosmicHedgehog posted Oct 27 2003, 07:41 PM

Download time.... I'm with you on that... that's why I went ahead just bought the thing.....

Oh Rudy, it was the reindeer.... I deleted the reinder, and my moutain lion was back... THanks Dude, you ROCK!!

justkel13 posted Oct 27 2003, 09:33 PM

Okay, in my searching throughout the zip and ztd files, I found a .wav file for a batcave. Plus other .ai (?can't remember now) etc files for fruit bat. Does anyone have a batcave? How do I get this into the game? And a campfire? (Might be scenery). But the good news is I definitely don't have the komodo dragon.

CosmicHedgehog posted Oct 27 2003, 09:59 PM

There's a noctural house... that's part of the japanese theme, so that's probably what all the bat stuff is for.... and yes, there is campfire... , and yes it is scenery.

Jay posted Oct 27 2003, 11:39 PM
Oh Rudy, it was the reindeer.... I deleted the reinder, and my moutain lion was back...
There may have been some reindeer that caused the mountain lion to be missing. But the reindeer from Dec. 27, 2001 and later worked.

You also have to be careful with the old, user created Mountain Gorilla. The Mt.Gorillabeta.ztd from February 8, 2002 with size of 7889341 incorrectly had a reindeer cfg file in it, which also caused the mountain lion to be missing. However the Mt.Gorillabeta.ztd with size of 6519211 did not have the problem.

Jay posted Oct 27 2003, 11:51 PM
So is what you're all saying is that the dragon, the themes and the trees just weren't there?  Do I have to spend 5 1/2 hours waiting for the entire CC to download again?  It's so frustrating living in the boonies with no high speed dial up...
The komodo dragon was missing from the first MS download. It is in the second MS download. However, you can go to the Zoo Admin web site and download the komodo dragon separately. People are also saying that 2 themes, possibly 1 tree and, and possibly some things needed for the scenarios are also missing from the MS downloads. For these, we have to wait for MS to release them. At this point, there is no need to redownload. I don't live in the boonies, but I can't justify the significantly higher price of high speed Internet for occasional large downloads. So, there are many people with slower downloads.

rudynoname posted Oct 28 2003, 01:55 AM
Oh Rudy, it was the reindeer.... I deleted the reinder, and my moutain lion was back... THanks Dude, you ROCK!
ur welcome. i had the same problem once. then i realized that it was because i copied an old file for the reindeer, after a reinstall, that i had somewhere else on my computer and i hadn't replaced when the new reindeer file came out. good thing they fixed it. i love the reindeer buti also really like the big cats.

jwa1107 posted Nov 5 2003, 02:35 PM

for those that downloaded, can we get a list of the files that were in the .ZIP and where each one goes in your ZT directory (for any future troubleshooting)

jwa1107 posted Nov 5 2003, 02:36 PM

also, it appears you have to research to get the nocturnal house

justkel13 posted Nov 5 2003, 03:02 PM

Yes, yes you do. Thanks jwa1107, I found that out last night. Sheesh, what a great ZT player I am! Usually, even though I have DD and MM and the CC, I only click to research for ZT; just easier to do those exhibits sometimes.
I said to my daughter, it's too bad we can't see the bats and she says, sure you can Mom, just look in the window...

Jay posted Nov 5 2003, 11:17 PM

For the Zoo Admin downloads of the pack, the following are the files, with Zoo Admin's recommended locations:

In the Zoo Tycoon main folder (usually \Program Files\Microsoft Games\Zoo Tycoon):
lang019.dll, lang301.dll

In the maps folder:
scn41.zoo, scn43.zoo, scn44.zoo

In the Updates folder:
ai.ztd, bigfoot.ztd, bowhead.ztd, config5.ztd, global07.ztd, guests7.ztd, items8.ztd, javarhino.ztd, Komodo.ztd, lochness.ztd, macrauchenia.ztd, mexicanwolf.ztd, object07.ztd, orangutan.ztd, prezhorse.ztd, researm.ztd, sawfish.ztd, scenari8.ztd, scenery8.ztd, serow.ztd, tapir.ztd, whaleshark.ztd

The downloads also included a "maps/CVS" folder with 4 files. This is not needed by the game. They are for Blue Fang developers and refer to a storage system.

I'm assuming that the Microsoft download is similar.

jwa1107 posted Nov 6 2003, 10:46 AM

the download from the Microsoft site has the following files in it:

config5.ztd
items8.ztd
guests7.ztd
researm.ztd
animalsa.ztd
global07.ztd
object07.ztd
scenery8.ztd
scenari8.ztd

lang301.dll - as noted, goes in main folder

scn41.zoo - as noted, goes in maps folder
scn43.zoo - as noted, goes in maps folder
scn44.zoo - as noted, goes in maps folder

(this is pre-Komodo)

Loewenfrau posted Nov 6 2003, 01:49 PM

The updated M$ download now has lang302.dll which still goes in the main folder

the .zoo files are the maps for the scenarios and have to go in the maps folder.

jwa1107 posted Nov 11 2003, 12:24 PM

on the Microsoft download you can put all the .ztd files in either the Updates folder or the main ZT folder

Dark Helemet posted Nov 24 2003, 01:35 PM

I have a problem with the Serow. Each time I click on another animal and then on the serow, it comes up with the other animals preffered foliage instead of the snowbell? why dose this happen?

Jay posted Nov 25 2003, 01:51 AM

MS and Zoo Admin's downloads do not include the Snowbell Tree. It is believed that this is part of a Japanese theme which people hope MS will eventually release as a download. In the meantime, the behavior you are seeing is what would be expected until the Snowball Tree is available. In the meantime, use the Japanese Maple Tree. (If the Snowbell Tree takes a full grid square, the Japanese Maple Tree would be better anyway since it can fit 4 per grid square.)

kamikaziroo posted Nov 25 2003, 07:23 PM

this is wierd.
I got my dragon and jap goat thingy with the 'download' cc but no arctic or jap theme. (wouldnt have known about them if i didnt read this.

Interesting to find out about 'the limit' of files - how do i find out what i have?
I did have a few user animals and objects/buildings but i recently took them all out and reinstalled as i started having a crash every time i put the tapairs into a zoo. (which im upset about as i was almost finished my best tropical zoo ever)

So now i'm left with just micro created downloads in my game + the cc unlock file i got from zooadmin. Hope i dont have to start choosing between these files.

Are the missing themes available for download somewhere?

Jay posted Nov 26 2003, 01:03 AM

I talk about the limits in the last post of the "Various technical guides, Combining, Installing, Lists, ..." topic within Technical Support. To find out what you have, go to the various folders within your Zoo Tycoon folder and look at the ztd and dll files.

As you get close to the ztd file limit, you do not have to choose between files. You can combine them, as mentioned in the above guide. However, if you get close to the dll file limit, you have to choose between files. We have not come up with a good way to combine dll files yet. (It would be nice if each web site, including here, would combine all of their own dll files into a single file.)

If your game crashes while putting the tapir into a zoo, it is unlikely to be one of the file limits. That is a different symptom. (Not having the dll file in the main Zoo Tycoon folder could cause that type of crash. There are other possibilities as well.)

We still have to wait for Microsoft to provide the additional themes as downloads.

kamikaziroo posted Nov 26 2003, 05:29 PM

One thing i just noticed - which is really spooky - i have the asian elephant file in my updates - but i havnt downloaded it! and its not available on my animals tab

Quote:
"I talk about the limits in the last post of the "Various technical guides, Combining, Installing, Lists, ..."

Ive been putting this into the search thingy and i get a message " error - subject not found" - can you point me in the right direction, please?

Jay posted Nov 26 2003, 09:39 PM

For the Asian Elephant, I assume you are referring to the file "asian__1.ztd". This is put into the Updates folder by Marine Mania. Since it is a Blue Fang animal, it would not appear in the menu until the appropriate time, unless you have a freeform unlock and are playing a freeform game.

The "Various technical guides, Combining, Installing, Lists, ..." topic is one of the pinned topics along with this "Complete Collection Issues" topic within Technical Support.

I found the topic by searching for "limit". When using the search feature, it is useful to specify "All Forums" and "Any Date". I talk about this inside the "PLEASE READ THIS FIRST" subforum at the top of the "Technical Support" forum.