Current List Of Known Issues, Answered. Read Me!

We have some of the best Techies around to help you solve any technical problems you might be having with Zoo Tycoon.
Jay
african elephant keeper

Current List Of Known Issues, Answered. Read Me!

Post by Jay »

searain79 posted Dec 26 2002, 04:30 PM

ZT in general

Before you EVER reinstall/uninstall
if you EVER need to reinstall the game, or you know you need to reinstall windows, or whatever the case may be,
go into c:/Program Files/Microsoft Games/Zoo Tycoon and MAKE A COPY of the zoo.ini file, and put it somewhere.. like in My Documents or something.. (do this by right-clicking on the file, choosing *copy* and then go into MY Documents and choose *paste*)
THIS baby saved all your scenario settings, game settings ETC (but not saved games.. those are in their own folder)
so once you have reinstalled, paste this file back in the main c:/Program Files/Microsoft Games/Zoo Tycoon folder.

Why do I need to have the ZT CD in my drive when playing the game?
microsoft uses the cd requirement as a little security precaution. (anti-piracy stuff.) To avoid this, you must do a search for a *no-cd key* however, zklounge does NOT endorse, nor supply no-cd cracks. this must be done by yourself.

I get the message to insert the ZT disk-- its already in there tho!
when you install DD or MM, take out any *Mircosoft patches or updates. DD and MM do not require them.* (uninstall the game, delete the updates folder and reinstall.)

is there a way to make the screen of the Zoo Tycoon games into a window instead of taking up the whole screen
yes. Yes...click on the icon on the selection panel that looks like a floppy disk, then click on the icon that looks like a computer...you should see the screen shot that is at this link:
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/mak1027/ztwindow.JPG
click where it says window mode THX MAK
-and some video cards do not support that option. so don't be alarmed if you are unable to click on that button!

what is the limit to the number of downloads i have?
clicketh for the "Various Technical Guides" topic in Technical Support

Does the maintence crew belong to a union?.I keep firing and hiring and they all keep going to the corner of the zoo.Now while they are all walking around picking there butts my garbage is overflowing and other things are not getting done
is there any cheats or hacks installed? a conflicting hack will do that, even if its not a super staff hack or anything
if you don't have any hacks installed, try going to dj's site, and download the staff hack, see if that clears things up
http://www.hemsida.net/ztdesign/index.html

When I try to save a game in my account( I have windows XP) with a zoo I created ( in my account) it says "an error ocerred while trying to save zoo tycoon.Please try agian." I try agian. I still get the message.

in WIN XP there are user accounts. if this happens, you do NOT have full acess to what you need. you may not have authorization to write to that directory (zoo tycoon)
grab whomever the ADMIN is of the computer... you need full access to that directory ---which is c:/Program Files/Microsoft Games/Zoo Tycoon

I have issues with the UXP Package
here is the UXP support place..
http://zoo.ogresnet.com/scenarios/uxpinfoindex.shtml

HACK ISSUES
one thing that has been said a couple times here, is that when installing hacks, if anything simmillair to ones that you already have, get rid of them. interferring hacks will do nasty things, as well as not working. my best advice, is to remove one of the hacks. you might need to email pluffs if you want to manually get rid of them. (his own hacks) because he has them in a setup file, not just simply a file that can be deleted.
if you remmeber what file went where, *this applies to anyother hack* try to locate and delete. worse case sec. is that your gonna haffta reinstall
hacks aren't meant to be played around with and if you aren't paying attention, you can really do a doosey on your game. also, make sure what you download is compatible with expansion packs you have. (THX DJ)

How do i remove stuff I downloaded?
To manually remove items you have installed, these items are found in (default install) the updates folder;
<span style='color:darkblue'>My Computer->C:Program Files/Microsoft Games/Zoo Tycoon/Updates.</span>

Everytime I try to download, it tells me that I do not have permission to open the file. What do I do. I have never had that problem before.
nothing you can do about it, its not your issue, its the server issue. you can PM myself, or Mak with the link, so we can try it out.

How do i save my scenarios? i tend to reformat often, and/or i uninstall the game frequently
go into c:/Program Files/Microsoft Games/Zoo Tycoon and MAKE A COPY of the zoo.ini file, and put it somewhere.. like in My Documents or something.. (do this by right-clicking on the file, choosing *copy* and then go into MY Documents and choose *paste*)
THIS baby saved all your scenario settings, game settings ETC (but not saved games.. those are in their own folder)
so once you have reinstalled, paste this file back in the main c:/Program Files/Microsoft Games/Zoo Tycoon folder.
also, You can open up the scenerios by naming a female guest Akiyama. It will not show that they have been completed (by showing the checks until you actually do them), but you can do them in any order you want. -THX Missy.
also If you save a scenario game, like you would save any other zoo, then back up the saved games folder before you reformat, and after you reformat, put the saved scenarios back in, that should work. You may have to open each zoo and let it run for a second for the game to recognize that you won, but other than that it should work.
You can also edit your zoo.ini file. It opens in notepad, and you just type in the .ini file where it says [scenario]
[scenario]
tutorial=0
aa=1
ae=1
af=1
ag=1
ab=1
ac=1
ad=1
ba=1
bb=1
bc=1
bd=1
be=1
bf=1
bg=1
bh=1
like that for each scenario you want to complete. the ones that begin with a are tutorials, b are beginner, c are intermediate scenarios, d are advanced scenarios, e are very advanced. Instead of numbering the scenarios,they just letter them...so if there are 5 intermedite scenarios(I don't remember how many there really are) you would add for intermediates
ca=1
cb=1
cc=1
cd=1
ce=1 *NOTE*: this is for ZT scneraios onlythankyou MAK

My cursor is blinking
hitting ctrl + c will stop this.
-OR IF this does not fix;-
If the Display Pointer Trails check box is selected in the Mouse Properties dialog box before you run the game, the cursor will blink when you are playing Zoo Tycoon. To stop the Zoo Tycoon cursor from blinking, click to clear the Display Pointer Trails check box

What is treedump.txt? i find this in my ZT folder.
This file shows you stuff with the game crashes. if it's deleted, it will just re-create itself after another crash. nothing useful here.. leave it be.

I have downloaded a few more scenarios, beach resort.., artic zoo, etc but when I launch the game, and check the scenarios they show up as a blank space on the menu, and won't work at all when I click on them
when you download a scenario, it comes with 2 or 3 files.
the .zip needs to be opened with winzip (http://www.winzip.com) the .ZTD file goes in your updates folder {found in c:/Progam Files/Microsoft Games/Zoo Tycoon/Updates} the .dll goes in the MAIN folder.(found in c:/Progam Files/Microsoft Games/Zoo Tycoon) and the .zoo file goes in the MAPS folder. {found in c:/Progam Files/Microsoft Games/Zoo Tycoon/maps}
putting the .zip in the updates folder will not work

i can't download or install stuff! it doesn't show up in my game! is the world against me?
clicketh for the "Okay I Downloaded It....now What" topic in Technical Support

where are the user made zoos supposed to show up at? where do i put them?
if it is a zoo map for you to build a zoo on, make sure the .zoo file is in your MAPS directory (under the main Zoo Tycoon folder) THX JWA
also: Also if it is a completed zoo of someone else, then you put it in the saved games folder. THX ZOOGRAMMY

I find that in the menu in the game I have animals doubled up...2 pictures of one animal, etc
clicketh for the "How Do I....." topic in General Purpose Strategy Guides

searain79 posted Jan 3 2003, 06:38 PM

MM Issues

All my non Scenario/Tutorial Saved games are coming up as corrupted files and not openable. Does this have something to do with the dlls? Like I said all my scenario games work great and no problem with user amnials. However all my previously
saved games come up as corrupted (I backed them up too just incase there is a correction for this problem.

this happens after installing a new expansion pack.. not too much you can do about it.

Magnet, Asian Elephant are not showing up in my game! i had them before!
included in MM is new animation sets. you still need to re-download the files from the MS site.

i have lost the animation when an animal attacks a guest, for example when a guest is getting attacked by the wooly mamoth a lion comes out and attacks the guest then disappeares, same with the Deinosuchus
when you installed DD did you first delete ZT and then install? I had the same problem when I first got ZT because I had the ZT update installed, you don't need it with DD.

Try uninstalling everything, re-boot the comp, install ZT with no patch from MS and the install DD-- WOOHOO MAK!

My Guests are hungry, angry, thirsty all the time I have MM
Follow the steps just like for DD and this issue.. if this does not work, here is what you can do:
when creating shows, make sure you DO NOT have the shows on FREQUENT, and do not have show tanks close together.
the guests need time to fullfil their needs.

My guests are zombies... in huge lines following eachother
this happens after a show has been done, they need a large area to dispurse. also make your paths wider. don't have your shows close together. spread them out throught your zoo.

NO ONE is coming to my shows!
do the tutorials
make sure there is nothing blocking the grandstands.
also, empty your updates folder. (leave in anything official)
no go? uninstall, go back to c:/Progam Files/Microsoft Games and delete the Zoo Tycoon folder. reinstall.

NO ONE is entering my dolphin tanks/ swim shacks!
make sure they aren't placed in backwards. Here is a link to a screen shot showing a swim shack in Zoo Tycoon:
http://sanctuary.damnserver.com/~prince ... lphins.JPG
also, empty your updates folder. (leave in anything official)
this occurs when you have certain user created items that are not compatible
with the game.
go into c:/Program Files/Microsoft Games/Zoo Tycoon and save your zoo.ini
file to a seperate location. (make a copy.. to say.. My Documents....)
now... to fix this easily, uninstall zoo tycoon. then go to c:/Program
Files/Microsoft Games and delete the Zoo Tycoon folder.
then reinstall zt, dont add any patches. then install DD and MM.
then go back to the main folder and add back your zoo.ini file.
now. test your game.
you may need to start a NEW map.

if you find this is working, STICK to downloading up to 5 things at a time,
and then testing your game.
things like user created buildings are a huge issue, if they arent
compatible. to get around this, never use the patch over write to overwrite
any .dll's. only stick to the .ztd's.

*note: anything MS official works in the game.

People are stuck in the grandstands, and swim shacks, ETC. when i delete them, the guests come flooding out.
this occurs when you have certain user created items that are not compatible
with the game.
go into c:/Program Files/Microsoft Games/Zoo Tycoon and save your zoo.ini
file to a seperate location. (make a copy.. to say.. My Documents....)
now... to fix this easily, uninstall zoo tycoon. then go to c:program
filesmicrosoft games and delete the zoo tycoon folder.
then reinstall zt, dont add any patches. then install DD and MM.
then go back to the main folder and add back your zoo.ini file.
now. test your game.
you may need to start a NEW map.

if you find this is working, STICK to downloading up to 5 things at a time,
and then testing your game.
things like user created buildings are a huge issue, if they arent
compatible. to get around this, never use the patch over write to overwrite
any .dll's. only stick to the .ztd's.

*note: anything MS official works in the game.

why do guests boo my shows?
clicketh for the "How Do I....." topic in General Purpose Strategy Guides

How do i make a combo exhibit??
PLEASE do the tutorial in the game. that is why it is provided.

since installing MM, i can't find the California Sea Lion
either you only have the demo (which in turn you need the full copy), or you need to use the toggle tabs in the game.

When I will play a MM scenario game, I got everything from ZT & MM but
al the DD things I don't have acces to.
When I play a DD scenario game I have acces to ZT & DD but not to MM
When I play a ZT scenario game I only have acces to ZT but not to DD & MM. Very strange?
When I play a freeform game I have acces to everything.. whats up?

when you do a scenario for ZT only, you ONLY get ZT stuff as an option.
when you do DD scenarios, you get access to ZT and DD stuff. when its MM, you get access to either just MM, or all 3.. or something. tis normal gaming.
-and, when the scenario is over, if you choose to continue playing, then all ZT,DD, and MM stuff will be available (THX MAK)

I tried to download The Ultimate Zookeeper download but this is what i get:
[Jonathan Gilmour]
type=keeper
subtype=m
oneTimeBonus=1
color0=2
color1=1
color2=1
bonuscash=20000
addresearch=23321
addresearch=23323

What am I doing wrong?
YOU aren't doing anything wrong.
try right clicking on the download link and choosing *save target as* and that should worky.

When you download an object--and I have all three (zt,dd,mm)games--and that object says something like "for zt or dd only" does this mean that if I play a freeform scenerio in mm, and even though I use zt and dd objects, etc--that I can't use this particular object because it says for zt or dd only?
this is why it happens.:
If you have all current expansion packs, you can download anything that is DD or MM only. anything for ZT only is just the original game and it is recommended you don't install it because of a confliction between files.
MM only means you can use it if you have the expansion packs. same as DD. but if you ONLY have the DD expansion, you can't use stuff with MM.
it mearly tells you that its just not going to work in your game.
so, now that im so confused now here is whats up:
zt only - original ZT ONLY NO EXPANSION PACKS
DD- must have dd. it will appear in all zoo's
MM- must have MM for it to worky.
hope this helps you! Image

searain79 posted Jan 3 2003, 06:39 PM

FOR DD

All my non Scenario/Tutorial Saved games are coming up as corrupted files and not openable. Does this have something to do with the dlls? Like I said all my scenario games work great and no problem with user amnials. However all my previously
saved games come up as corrupted (I backed them up too just incase there is a correction for this problem.

this happens after installing a new expansion pack.. not too much you can do about it.

My Guests are sticking to benches, tables, themselves. I have DD and /or MM
After you get a new expansion pack for zootycoon, there are new files that conflict with user created files. such are:
benches. tables. paths. fences. buildings. anything a guest can use. to correct this: locate c:/Program Files/Microsoft Games/Zoo Tycoon/Updates
and empty out your updates folder. or more simply; uninstall your game. go back to c:/Program Files/Microsoft Games
and delete the Zoo Tycoon folder. then reinstall. done.

My Guests are hungry, angry, thirsty all the time I have DD only
Same thing as listed above. Take the same steps.

My guests are complaining that *this place is %percent dangerous%* I have DD
Your guests are getting shocked by DD scenery objects, and electrical fences. objects at fault:
Fossil rocks. geysers. tar pit. lava pit. steam vent. volcanoes.
to prevent this, surround them with decorative fences., or use the contrustion tab to lower the objects in the ground.
For the DD electrical fences, use a decorative fencing as well, or have the paths 2 -3 tiles away from the fence.

searain79 posted Feb 18 2003, 06:08 PM

VIDEO ISSUES

my monitor has been blinking lately(goes black then comes back on for not even a second). Could this affect my game? I know it is a matter of time until it shuts off for good , So should I just go ahead and get a knew one now, or can I wait.

time for a self test on the monitor:

turn off the PC, and the monitor.
behind the montior are 2 cables. one for power.. goes into the wall outlet or power outlet, and the other one goes into your PC. unplug this one.
now turn on the power button to your monitor. you should get some funky screen with colours. if it still blinks.. then its time for a new monitor.

if it does not blink, you may have a loose wire.. wiggle the cables that are at the back of the monitor. does it jump? does it turn off? if yes, REPLACE IT!
if not:
you may have a *refresh rate* issue. Go to the Settings tab on the Display Properties window. If you click on the *Advanced* button at the bottom, then you go to a new window that has more tabs. Here is a link to a screen shot showing the window:
http://sanctuary.damnserver.com/~princess/monitor.JPG
click on the *monitor* tab, and under *refresh rate* chk to see what its at. a lower refresh rate (like 60 htrz) might help.. but it'll hurt your eyes.!
a higher refresh rate (like 85, or 90hrtz) should stop the blinking.
try it out.

Video Issues.

..Game screen jumping

there is a known issue between MARINE MANIA, and the nvidia driver version 4.0.7.2 it causes game screens to jump and become glitchy.
to relieve this, visit http://www.nvidia.com and locate different drivers.

searain79 posted Sep 1 2003, 12:20 PM

It's come to our attention that some users are experiencing some download issues when it is coming to downloading the newest stuffs from Microsoft site.
the details so far, is this:

user will install all files in the correct spots, but the .dll will somehow.. dissapear.. therefore, there will be no language support or info available for item. User may have tried a number of times to download the item, install items correctly, still, when opening the game, the language file is still not around, and then gone missing!

Items include, to date:
Kids Dino Pack
Llama
Atlantean Theme Pack
Megatherium

please browse this page and contact us about any issues you may have. Don't forget to read the text file so that you can inform us better about what may be missing.