Okay I Downloaded It....now What?

We have some of the best Techies around to help you solve any technical problems you might be having with Zoo Tycoon.
Jay
african elephant keeper

Okay I Downloaded It....now What?

Post by Jay »

Mak1027 posted Jun 11 2002, 03:56 PM

How do I install.............................

Here I will include instuctions to install downloaded animals, objects, and theme packs. Some files require you to have an unzipping program such as winzip, winace or any of the others available. For a free evaluation copy of winzip, you can go to http://www.winzip.com and download it. If you have Windows XP the built in unzipping program works great, and should handle all ZT and DD files.

Animals:

1) If you download an animal and the file name ends in .ZTD (or.ztd) simply copy it into your updates folder, or use the check locally option of the game to install it.

2) If you download an animal and it is a .zip file...unzip it. If there is a .ztd file inside...follow directions above to install. If you unzip and there are more folders inside...such as an animals folder, an objects folder,etc...rezip the file and change the .zip extension to .ztd ( you can do this by right-clicking on the file, go down to where it says rename, click and change the extension)For example; if you downloaded elephant.zip...change it to elephant.ztd. Once you change the extension to .ztd, follow directions in #1 to install.

Objects& Theme Packs

1) If you download an object and the file ends in .ZTD (or .ztd) you install the same as an animal, either copy it to your

updates folder or use the check locally option of the game to install.
2) if you download an object and it is a .zip file....unzip it...and see what is inside...many contain 1 or more .ztd files, which can then be installed as described above.

3) .exe files.....the following objects and theme packs will have .exe files in them when you unzip them. (most, if not all of dj's theme packs are installed this way)

Tekken 4 Arcade
Jurassic Park Arcade
McDonald's Theme Pack
Garden Bench
KFC Theme Pack
Pepsi & 7-up machines

They all install in the same manner, but I will use the KFC as an example, because it is the shortest name to type.

a) unzip the file and you should see KFC_ThemePack.exe, Patch_KFC.exe, and readme.txt.
B) double-click on the KFC_ThemePack.exe file. You should see a winzip self-extractor window( or a compressed folder warning if you have Windows XP)...click on browse, and browse to your main Zoo Tycoon folder, then choose unzip.
c) next, unzip the Patch_KFC.exe to your main Zoo Tycoon folder.
d) next...and this is the important part.....go into your main zoo tycoon folder and see what is there. If there is another KFC_Themepack.exe file, double-click on it and again extract the files to your main Zoo Tycoon folder. Next look for the Patch_KFC.exe file ( black square w/letters RP in white) and click on it.....this will update your lang0.dll file.
e) start game and building should be there.

4) .dll files......the following buildings have .dll files in them when you unzip them

Baskin Robbins
Pizza Hut
Dairy Queen

When you unzip the folder that you downloaded, you will see both .ztd files and a .dll file. Copy the .ztd files to your updates folder, and the .dll file to your main Zoo Tycoon folder.

****Important*****
1) If you just have Zoo Tycoon....make sure you have installed the update from Microsoft. Even if you think you did, double check that the version # of your game ends in a 9 and not a 6. If the update is not installed, the buildings will only show up in scenario games, and not in freeforms.
2) if you have Dino Digs....do not install the lang0.dll patches....go to the released Dino and Dino objects area , and download the version for Dino Digs.
3) I only mentioned the buildings available for download on this site. If you download buildings from another site, first read the readme.txt file and then if you still need help find which ever directions match the files that came with the building.

4) If you still need help...pm me

Kelsey posted Aug 2 2002, 04:07 PM

So do i have to somehow manually unzip the files? (i have Win. XP)

bluememaw posted Aug 2 2002, 07:34 PM

Kelsey, if you have XP all you have to do is double click on the file. It unzips.

Kelsey posted Aug 2 2002, 10:12 PM

I went to get new items & clicked on the one i wanted to put on the game. Then a green window popped up & asked me if i wanted to restart the game for the new stuff to take effect. i clicked on "yes" & it restarted.

I've done that several times, but every time the game restarts, the new animals aren't there!

The Marine, Rose, & South China Tigers + the barfello, some kind of leopard, and a california sea lion worked

i'm lost

bluememaw posted Aug 2 2002, 10:54 PM

Ok, Kelsey, I'll try...

Click on Start, click on My Computer, click on C drive, click on Program Files, click on Microsoft Games, click on Zoo Tycoon. You should have a file called Updates. Click on it. The animals and objects you have downloaded should be in this folder.

Some of the downloads will have a folder in Updates. (I have one or two that are a single file.) The folder(s) may have a picture of a zipper on them. Double click on this folder.

It will open and you should see some files. There may be two or three (or more depending on what you downloaded). If there is a Read Me file, click on it and read the instructions. If there isn't, don't worry.

Put your cursor on the file that has the least color. Right click. When the menu drops down, click on Properties. A window will open which will show you a word description of the file. If its extension is .ztd, close the menu (click off in the margin), highlight the file and right click. When that menu opens, click on copy.

Click on the back arrow. You will be back in the Updates folder. Right click, select paste and click.

Do this for each item you have downloaded. (If it is a single file and not a folder start with "Now start your game")

Now start your game. When you get to the menu that asks if you want to load a saved game, etc. click on Get New Things Locally. A window will open. My Documents will be showing in the location bar. Click on the down arrow and select C drive. Click on Program Files, click on Microsoft Games, click on Zoo Tycoon. Click on Updates. Scroll down until you find the file you just pasted in the Updates folder. Double click on the file. A window should open asking you if you want to restart your game for this to take effect. Click on yes.

When your game starts, it make take a few seconds for the item to show up. Sometimes my animals and objects are there in the menus; sometimes I have to play for a few minutes (I check on animal status and broken fences while I am waiting) and a box will pop up and say New Animals and Objects Are Available. Your new downloaded item should be listed on the menu now.

Try this and let me know if it works.

DodoBird289 posted Sep 13 2002, 08:42 PM

Certain animals wont show up after i get them from "Get new Items" how can i get downloaded stuff to my freeform games... some older stuff works
but not the stuff i got this week

bluememaw posted Sep 13 2002, 09:48 PM

Ok, we will assume that since files you downloaded last week work, you are saving properly. And that you have gone to the file, unzipped it, and put the files it contains in the right places...

So, you started the game, you clicked on "Get new things locally," you went to the file and double clicked on it. Then your screen said "start game to make new things appear" (or whatever that sentence is) and you clicked on yes. The game started and your new things still didn't appear?

Hmmm...

searain79 posted Oct 4 2002, 10:55 PM

To add on to Blues post, once it says all that jazz about restarting zoo tycoon to make the stuff appear,,, you should check in your c:/Program Files/Microsoft Games/Zoo Tycoon/Updates folder and see if the stuff is in there.. does it show up in there? if not, then something didn't take.

aapman posted Nov 3 2002, 11:38 AM

I just put them in my zt folder, and they work
only i need to search for my .exe file always...

circular reference posted Nov 13 2002, 01:59 AM

Are you referring to the lang*.dll files and saying not to place them anywhere if you have DD? I am confused... All .dll files go in the main Zt folder, right?

Just trying to get it all clear... newbie & all...

Mak1027 posted Nov 13 2002, 02:03 AM

If a building does not say it is compatible with DD, then don't put the .dll file in or do the patch ....although I think most have been updated for DD since that post

searain79 posted Nov 13 2002, 11:54 AM
Are you referring to the lang*.dll files and saying not to place them anywhere if you have DD?  I am confused... All .dll files go in the main Zt folder, right?

Just trying to get it all clear... newbie & all...
your right. all .dll's go into the main folder. all .ztd files go into updates folder. all .zips need to be opened, and the files in there go into their respected folders.

aapman posted Nov 13 2002, 01:58 PM

everything except the official downloads are put in the main folder!
and they work!

searain79 posted Nov 17 2002, 07:54 AM
What to do with *.zoo files (sometimes appear in scenario ZIP's)...??
.zoo = zoo maps. your saved games are saved as .zoo

Mak1027 posted Nov 17 2002, 11:27 AM
If I use the IMPORT utility in ZT, will it place all files in their respective places automatically?
if you use the check locally feature to import into the game, it automatically puts everything into the updates folder ...this is fine if it is just .ztd files you are adding ...anything else, .exe,.dll, .scn, .zoo has to be done manually

searain79 posted Dec 26 2002, 04:35 PM

Here are links to screen shots showing how to download things for Zoo Tycoon:

http://sanctuary.damnserver.com/~prince ... ad/dl1.JPG
http://sanctuary.damnserver.com/~prince ... d/dld2.JPG
http://sanctuary.damnserver.com/~prince ... d/dld3.JPG

To install into Zoo Tycoon, go to your desktop and open (double click) the file. Here is a link showing how to install the ztd into Zoo Tycoon:

http://sanctuary.damnserver.com/~prince ... d/dld4.JPG

As for animals, and objects that require a .dll, here are links to screen shots showing how to install the ztd and dll into Zoo Tycoon:

http://sanctuary.damnserver.com/~prince ... ctintl.JPG
http://sanctuary.damnserver.com/~prince ... tintl1.JPG

For scenarios, here are links to screen shots showing how to install the dll, ztd, and zoo into Zoo Tycoon:

http://sanctuary.damnserver.com/~prince ... allzoo.JPG
http://sanctuary.damnserver.com/~prince ... llzoo1.JPG
http://sanctuary.damnserver.com/~prince ... llzoo2.JPG
christy
zoo guest

Post by christy »

??? none of my downloaded stuff is showing up. i have read and followed instructions here. my .ztd are in the updates. my ..dll is in the main folder. my .zoo are in the maps. what am i doing wrong?
Jay
african elephant keeper

Post by Jay »

Welcome to the Lounge.

It sounds like you got things right. Are you using the demo version of Zoo Tycoon? It does not allow downloads. Are you using Zoo Tycoon or one of the expansion packs? Marine Mania has those various "content menus" (Zoo Tycoon versus Dinosaur Digs versus Marine Mania versus All). Did you check the different menus? Can you give me an example of a download you tried? I could try it myself and try to walk you through it.
christy
zoo guest

Post by christy »

i have store bought cc. the megatherium and free state zoo are not working. i got meg. from official site and free staqte from wiscos? the hacks ive used have worked. another question, if i download the files right to the updates folderm, will that cause aproblem?
Jay
african elephant keeper

Post by Jay »

about megatherium:

This comes as a zip file. Based on your first post, I'm assuming you extracted the files from the zip file, then put the megathrm.ztd file in your Updates folder (which is probably C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Zoo Tycoon\Updates) and the lang015.dll file in your Zoo Tycoon folder (which is probably C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Zoo Tycoon). If these files are in the wrong place, they will not be in the game.

Official animals work differently than user created animals. Not all official animals (or objects) show up right away in the game. If you do not have one, I would recommend downloading a Freeform Unlock. Zoo Admin has a good one. Put the Freeform Unlock in the Updates folder. This causes all official animals and objects to appear immediately in a freeform game (but not scenarios). Then start the game, select the Freeform Game option, and start a Basic Grass Map - Small. You should see the Giant Ground Sloth in the Adopt Animal menu. That is the megatherium.

about zoos:

There is a difference between a zoo and a scenario. Unfortunately, they both end with ".zoo", so it is often difficult to tell the difference. Scenarios go in the maps folder. Although zoos can go anywhere, they are much easier to find if they are put in the Saved Games folder. Therefore, the Freestate_Zoo.zoo file should go in the Saved Games folder since it is a zoo. Then it will appear in the Load Game menu in Zoo Tycoon. Unfortunately, I have heard some zoos that were created with the original Zoo Tycoon do not work in Marine Mania or Complete Collection. I do not know if the Freestate_Zoo is one or not. All you can do is try it and see.

about downloads:

I do not believe that putting downloads directly in the Updates folder will hurt anything. However, I would not recommend it for two reasons. First, if it is a zip file that contains a ztd file, you still have to extract the ztd file. Then there would be 2 files in the Updates folder. Zoo Tycoon will know the zip file cannot be used directly, but it will have to keep checking it to see, which will slow the game slightly. Second, if you ever have to reinstall the game, you would lose your downloads. Therefore, I would recommend putting the downloads in some folder other than any Zoo Tycoon folder. Then extract (if it is a zip) or copy (if it is a ztd or dll or zoo) into Zoo Tycoon folders.
christy
zoo guest

Post by christy »

Thanks Jay. i do have a giant ground sloth. i will move freestate around. i just had to reload so i know about losing stuff, so i will take your advice to put i somewhere else.

i have an animal i have just created. (i am learning.) is there anyone that could take a look at it to see if ther are any suggestions?
Jay
african elephant keeper

Post by Jay »

Congratulations on your animal creation!

If you have not done so already, go look at APE Questions->APE Editing & Tutorials->Uca Editing Guide. That talks about quite a number of things that are often "not quite right" in user created animals. (It is more about efficiency and consistency than actual problems.)

After you have checked your animal concerning the things talked about in that guide, go to Frequently Asked Questions->How Do I Submit My Downloads To Zkl. That has email addresses for you to submit your download here. As mentioned there, the submission then goes to a testing team.

If you are looking for other types of feedback concerning your animal (animal description, terrain type, likes, etc.), feel free to post in the "New Animals/Objects - discussion" section.
Jossie
zoo guest

Post by Jossie »

I would like to know how you download the animals from this site.

When i download one, i open it, and then there is a map animals, and if i open that, some more maps show up, and they turn into many more maps and files, and i just don't get it anymore.

Please help me, your site has many wonderful downloads.
fern
african elephant keeper

Post by fern »

Can you see the file extention name?
Does it look like this blacklion.ztd.zip? If so just change the name to just blacklion.ztd and that should solve the problem. The .ztd file can then be put in the dlupdate folder of Zoo Tycoon.

If you can't see the extension name please let us know and we can explain how to make them visible.
Jossie
zoo guest

Post by Jossie »

no, i can't see the file extension name
Jay
african elephant keeper

Post by Jay »

The procedure to show file extensions will vary depending on the version of MS Windows you are using. Here is a procedure for Windows XP:
1) Click Start.
2) Click Control Panel.
3) Double click Folder Options.
4) Click View.
5) Make sure that no checkmark is in the "Hide extensions for known file types" box. If there is, click in the box to make the checkmark go away and click OK.

Now you should be able to see the extension when you list files in Windows Explorer. Another way to see the extension is to right click on the file and click Properties. But then you have to do that with every file. So the above procedure is easier, once it is done.

It sounds like what you are downloading should not be unziped. ZT animal files have an animals folder inside. This folder should stay inside the ".ztd" file.

There are 3 possibilities of animal downloads here at ZKL. One is it downloads as a ".ztd" file. You should just copy that file to Zoo Tycoon's Updates or dlupdate folder.

The second download possibility is that it downloads as a ".zip" file. In this case, you want to extract the files from inside the ".zip" file. There will be a ".ztd" file inside the ".zip" file. When you extract this ".ztd" file out of the ".zip" file, you then copy the ".ztd" file to Zoo Tycoon's Updates or dlupdate folder as above.

The third possibility is trickier. On some people's computers, the download was supposed to download as a ".ztd" file, but the computer changes it to a ".ztd.zip" file instead, as fern described. In this case, you would want to rename the file so that it ends in ".ztd" instead of ".ztd.zip". Then copy this ".ztd" file to Zoo Tycoon's Updates or dlupdate folder as above.

Good luck and have fun Zoo Tycooning. :))
Jossie
zoo guest

Post by Jossie »

ok, i can now see the file extension, but most of them are zip. files, the ones that i have on my pc and trying to get it in the game are:

American Eel
Sandbar Shark
Capybara

but they all turn into a map called animals, and that splits in two maps and one uca. file, and the maps lead into more maps, and into more files, but no ztd. file.
Jay
african elephant keeper

Post by Jay »

If they turn into a folder called "animals", then they were extracted too far.

I took a look at the Capybara from here:
viewtopic.php?t=182

You will see a place that says "right click on link and choose 'save target as' to download". If you click on those words with the right mouse button and then click "Properties", you will see its name:

Code: Select all

http://www.lunamanar.com/zklounge/zkl/downloads/ztanimals/capybara.ZTD
You can see from that name that it is a ".ZTD" file. On my computer, it downloads as the end of that name shows:
capybara.ZTD
But, for some people, it does not download using that name. For some people, it downloads as this name:
capybara.ZTD.zip
Whatever name it used for you, you want to change its name back to "capybara.ZTD". Then just copy capybara.ZTD to your Zoo Tycoon Updates or dlupdate folder. You can do the same procedure for the other downloads... Right click on the download link and click Properties to see its real name. Then change the name on your computer to its real name.

Once again, good luck and have fun Zoo Tycooning. :))
KTesch
zoo guest

Post by KTesch »

Dear Jay or Fern,

Yesterday, I tried to download the Channel-billed Toucan and Great Blue Heron from ZKL, so I downloaded them and they said they were .zip files, but when I unzipped them, there were all sorts of .UCA and .PAL files inside them, so I tried to right click the file and rename it, but the extension wouldn't show up. I also tried going under Properties and it said it was a .zip file, but I couldn't get it to copy. (The word Copy wasn't highlighted). I have Windows Vista Home Premium now, not Windows XP.

Kim
Jay
african elephant keeper

Post by Jay »

Those files are actually ".ztd" files. Unfortunately, Microsoft still has not fixed their Internet Explorer programs, which change ".ztd" to ".zip", or to ".ztd.zip" in some versions. If you put the mouse cursor on the download links here and look at the bottom of your browser, you will see the names used here. When they say ".ztd", you must change the ".zip" to ".ztd" either in the "Save" screen that is shown or after it is downloaded. For downloads added here in the last several years, we have been using ".zip". But earlier ones usually used ".ztd".

The procedure to show file extensions in Windows Vista Home Premium is similar to the steps listed for Windows XP. Here are the steps for Windows Vista Home Premium:
1) Click the Start button. This is the round button at the bottom left of the screen. When the mouse cursor moves over it, its tooltip says "Start".
2) Click "Control Panel".
3) Click "Appearance and Personalization".
4) Click "Folder Options".
5) Click the "View" tab.
6) Make sure that no checkmark is in the "Hide extensions for known file types" box. If there is, click in the box to make the checkmark go away and click "Apply".

Good luck with the downloads and happy Zoo Tycooning. :))