Twilight's Tips

Talk about anything (just keep it clean).
superlion
serow keeper

Post by superlion »

In the interest of keeping things clean, I have condensed this topic into a single post. Most of this is Twilight speaking--anything in BLUE is my commentary and everything in orange is Superlion's.

Twilight's Guide to Forum Manners:

Ok in this I will touch on the basics of forum manners.. Plus cover some of the words you may have never heard like Spam (no not the food) and Flaming, and so on..

PS if this is out of line please lock this.. I apologize to all who already know this but a couple don't

Our first topic is Spam.. What is spam you might ask well Spam rears it's ugly little head in many different ways.. These are the most common..

- Only posting one word answers like..

OK

YES

NO

WHAT??

See that was boring to read wasn't it..It's just as bad on the forum..

-bringing up points that have nothing to do with the topic in general? For example:

Topic: I had a Grilled Cheese Sandwitch for Lunch today

A. I love the Purple People Eater Song...

Anyone see a point in that?? Me niether. It's pointless and spam..

-Any thing that causes you to have to scroll over on the page.. Such as massive repeating of letters..or smilies

examples:

HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

OMG THAT IS ANNOYING.. DON'T DO IT!!

-Bringing back topics that are over 2 weeks old.. Guys Topics have a lifespan.. This lifespan normally is over after two weeks.. You are not the Fountain of youth.. Chances are if you reply to it either it will have to die again or will just turn into spam.. Think of the people who type up that nice new topic.. Only to have it overrun to page two by topics that are over 3 weeks old.. It's not fair to that person or the readers

-Replying to a thread to repeat what the person just told you is a big spam move!! Example

-Man it's raining again!!

Reply: It's raining there?

Well Duh someone already said it was!! we already know this.. Please leave it at that..

- THERE IS AN EDIT BUTTON FOLKS--USE IT! Quit double posting when there is that pretty little button called EDIT.. click that button and type what you want to change.. Simple?? Yea it is that simple

Remember there doesn't always have to be a reply.. People will not think less of you if you don't reply.. Just don't do repeat and spammy things to get your post count up (Reality check it means nothing) or to "be nice"

Ok that's our discussion on spam..

Ok Now I want to cover a small section on mannerisms ...

#1.. DO NOT TALK IN ALL CAPS.. ONE IS LIKELY TO THINK YOUR YELLING AT THEM.. PLUS IT'S BAD ON THE EYES!!

#2.. Please respect others opinions.. and don't call others names.. Treat others how you would like to be treated :wink:

#3..When requesting an animal, Sig Pic, Avatar or anything.. Remember the creators have lives. They can't spend all day and all night making your animal.. BE PATIENT..
3b.. Don't say your going to make something and never make it.. It get's peoples hopes up and then they never see the animal..

#4.Do not start "pity Party threads" Threads based on the "Im leaving because no one likes me" "I'm sick" etc.. that gets old really really quick If your going to leave then start a thread stating your leaving and say bye and then GO don't keep the thread going with a pity party!
4b.. Don't start where is everybody threads?? People have lives they can't live on the computer..Especially now it's summer people are on vacation.. Chill they will be here..
4c..Do NOT START I'VE REACHED BLAHBLAH POST THREADS! Who cares.. Post counts mean nothing.. You don't get a prize if you reach 100 before someone else.. they don't matter to anyone.. so save us the bandwidth please and accept this congratz early and dont' start them :|

#5. This should go in with spam but I thought about it here ... DO NOT reply to a thread you just started and ask why no body is replying to you.. Guys this isn't a chat line.. They will reply in time.. BE PATIENT.. it's a virtue ya know..We are all in different time zones remember that.. My night could be your day!

#6 Pm's were created for your personal use.. Dont' start threads for a specific person.. The pm's are for that.. That's like walking out your door and yelling to your friend three houses down when there is a telephone in the house..
Don't see why I'd want anyone seeing my personal conversations myself..
That's it for mannerisms..

now we are going to do a short short lesson on your personal messenger.. Ok? good..

The personal messanger is there for your use to talk to other members without starting a thread.. To do this simply click on the button labeled pm under the user..

***Rule of thumb.. always clean out your pm box.. that is also a good bandwidth eater and that's not a good thing :cry:

Things you should not do in pm's

#1.. Post threads to come join my forum.. come join it.. Why haven't you done that yet?? etc.. That is considered spam folks and it could be worth a banning if you do it enough.. Plus it's inconsiderate to the person recieving the pm..

#2.. Don't pm someone just to yell at them or tell them off.. Once again that's rude.. Guys I know it's tough but hold it in..

#3.. Please don't consistentaly pm people for absoultely nothing.. to say hey how are you is cool.. but don't do 20 pm's saying thank you or ok, or the weather is nice.. That's for a chatline and it's also annoying..

Once again.. there doesn't always have to be a reply.. People will not think less of you if you don't reply.. Just don't do repeat and spammy things to get your post count up (Reality check it means nothing) or to "be nice

I don't think the join my forum pm's are so bad, though...you can always ignore them...but I don't think anyone should BADGER people through pm's about joining forums...

<span style='color:orange'>There is a fine line to draw - between outright spam -> someone sending the same message to every member while also having the link in the websites page</span>

and a nice gesture -> someone inviting you to a private forum because they think you're worthy of coming.

Further Q&A about manners:

Q: would it be OK if I started a thread that asked a question like " Can you recommend any good movies?

A: No... There is nothing wrong with that. It's legitimate and anyone can contribute
emmy780
zoo guest

Post by emmy780 »

Hey, I totally Agree with you! :mellow:
hey, REMEMBER to follow the RULES!!!!!
Kielo91
manatee keeper

Post by Kielo91 »

Yes, those rules are very appropriate... except... one thing. I think someone pm'ing you about joining their forum or recommending a forum you should join isn't that bad. But like in the post, badgering is wrong. Except that, everything I agree with. That was smart to post a whole topic on this. Especially for new members. ;)
<b>Do you smell that smell? A kind of smelly smell that smells... smelly.
Life is just a big bowl of fancy assorted cashews.</b>
emmy780
zoo guest

Post by emmy780 »

It's a great topic! especially for us newbies...... well you know what I mean! B)
hey, REMEMBER to follow the RULES!!!!!
Kielo91
manatee keeper

Post by Kielo91 »

Yes, and welcome to the forums, Emmy! :D
<b>Do you smell that smell? A kind of smelly smell that smells... smelly.
Life is just a big bowl of fancy assorted cashews.</b>