Central Download Databank

Talk about anything (just keep it clean).
professorpaul
giant anteater keeper

Post by professorpaul »

I want to raise an important issue here. I hope you won't think I'm being presumptuous.

Over the last few years many designers have produced hundreds of wonderful downloads to enhance the enjoyment of both Zoo Tycoon & Zoo Tycoon 2. But ongoing issues regarding Zoo Admin as far as their servers are concerned have l'd me to think that it would be a good time to protect the work that has been put in at ZA, ZKL,Tek, Unleashed & Unlimited over the years.

The old days of inter site rivalry are little more than distant memories, tumbleweeds now blow where flame wars once ranged. It's time, I think, to work together rather than work seperately. What's happened to ZA could easily happen to any of us.

I'm not proposing that all downloads should be made available at all sites. But that we should jointly look at a central storage bank where downloads for all sites can be preserved in case of similar problems to ZA.

Feel free to discuss.
Come & see the Zoo Tek Nature Encyclopedia
Animals,Plants & Rocks!
Starthorne
zoo guest

Post by Starthorne »

I, for one, think it's a good idea, Professor. ;)
Gfh
zoo guest

Post by Gfh »

Starthorne wrote: I, for one, think it's a good idea, Professor. ;)
Yeh, I do to.
caddienoah
zoo tour guide

Post by caddienoah »

I thought that was one of the purposes of the DD...or am I wrong?
fern
african elephant keeper

Post by fern »

No, the Download Directory just lists and provides links to where a download is. They do host some files from dead sites when they have procured permissions to do so.
AK Zoo
zoo guest

Post by AK Zoo »

I wonder if the DD will have the file I am looking for?
Luna Manar
baboon keeper

Post by Luna Manar »

I realize it has been a long time since anyone posted here, but I thought I'd poke my head in for old times' sake.

I concur with Professor.

These forums are a great repository, but they are, as we have seen, subject to hackers and other Internet hazards. I think it would be advisable for us all to back up each other's stuff, in the event of a disaster. These boards and websites are the only places people can get these downloads, and search for advice and help with the games. It would be a shame to lose it.

I do, however, advise against the immediate distribution of user-made material that the author considers to be copyrighted and only authorized for use on a single website. If we want to share those, we should make every attempt to contact the author and ask permission, first.

If anyone at ZA or any of the other sites wishes to share animals, objects or maps with ZKL, I'll be more than happy to host them on this site as well.